Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Confirmed Rifle Death and Fatalities report >

NY Confirmed Rifle Death and Fatalities report

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Confirmed Rifle Death and Fatalities report

Old 12-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY Confirmed Rifle Death and Fatalities report

As the New York season comes to an end it is unfortunate that we have alreadyexceeded the number of fatal hunting accidents that were reported in the 2004 season. To date one fatality has been been confirmed by police as inflicted by a rifle in the southern zone, one occured in a southern shotgun only zone with no official report of the weapon involved,(it was a shotgun), the third occured in a county in the northern zone where rifles are legal and are the predominate weapon of choice, howeverthe officialidentification of the weapon is not available at this time.

Last year, there was a total of two fatal hunting injuries statewide, according to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.

So far this year there been at least 3 reported fatal accidents, and 55 injuries.

Here are the reported fatalities...

(southern Zone Rifle)
Saturday, November 26, 2005 10:15 AM
Boy killed in hunting accident
(Deerpark, NY - AP) — A 13-year-old boy was shot and killed this week while hunting in Deerpark.
New York State Police say David Kingston of Huguenot, about 100 miles south of Albany, was hunting Thanksgiving morning with family members when he was shot in the back. Police say the gunshot came from a rifle.
Kingston was pronounced dead at the hospital.
State police are investigating the shooting and releasing few details.

http://www.wrgb.com/news/regional/regional.asp?selection=article_43927

(northern zone rifle)
The Northern Zone recorded seven injuries and one fatality. Robert L. Jeffers, 53, of Orleans, was shot to death while hunting deer with friends Nov. 24 in Jefferson County, about 90 miles north of Syracuse, state police said.

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/2002/1212/1476001.html

(southern zone shotgun)
MILAN — State police in Rhinebeck are investigating a hunting accident that resulted in the death of 22-year-old man Saturday in the Town of Milan.
State police officials gave no details Sunday about the accident, which took place at around noon.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051212/NEWS05/512120318/1009
Old 12-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Confirmed Rifle Death and Fatalities report

I should add that the 22 year old man that was killed in Milan was a personal acquintance.

There was5 members of his hunting party that were present at the time of the shooting. Each individual was a close personal friend of the deceased and each had been a life long hunter.

As a result of theincident all of the individuals involved have reportedly decided that they will no longer participate in the sport of hunting.

My heart goes out not only to the families of the deceased, but to each individual that has suffered as a result of these incidents.

JC
Old 12-21-2005, 10:29 PM

Does any one know if any of the victims were wearing orange?

NoKnees
Old 12-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Man, sure is sad to hear! My Condolences to the family!

Old 12-22-2005, 04:38 AM

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

I should add that the 22 year old man that was killed in Milan was a personal acquintance.

There was5 members of his hunting party that were present at the time of the shooting. Each individual was a close personal friend of the deceased and each had been a life long hunter.

As a result of theincident all of the individuals involved have reportedly decided that they will no longer participate in the sport of hunting.

My heart goes out not only to the families of the deceased, but to each individual that has suffered as a result of these incidents.

JC
very sorry to hear about your friend..

I live in Newurgh and work in Fishkill......... I have heard the story and it seems like his life long hunting buddies may have needed to quit the sport many years ago...
Old 12-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

This article includes more relevant informtion concerning the rifle accident..

Sparrowbush – An investigation into the death of a 13-year-old boy who was out hunting on Thanksgiving morning is now in the hands of the Orange County district attorney's office, state police said yesterday.
David Kingston was killed by a rifle shot while hunting with family members near Route 42. State police yesterday declined to release the results of an autopsy or describe how the shooting happened, saying only that it was an accident and that the boy's family cooperated with investigators. Prosecutors also declined to discuss the case.
A state police report said the incident was first reported to police as a serious injury from a fall, but then a doctor at Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis found a bullet wound while examining the boy.
Kingston was laid to rest yesterday.
At Port Jervis Middle School, Principal Tom Bongiovi told students of the boy's death yesterday morning but said almost everyone in the close-knit school already knew.
"We dedicated our moment of silence to David," Bongiovi said.
He described Kingston as a bright boy with a keen sense of humor.
"He was a very funny kid, and he was very inquisitive. He'd always have a question for you," Bongiovi said.
Kingston was a member of the school's modified football and wrestling teams. Plans for a scholarship fund to help students attend wrestling camp are under way, Bongiovi said.
"He wasn't a natural athlete, but he always gave 110 percent," Bongiovi said.
Kingston's death quickly became a topic of conversation and speculation throughout the Town of Deerpark and Port Jervis.
"All kinds of people are talking about it," said Bryan Kaizer, working behind the counter at Gamo's Country Market in Sparrowbush. "It's really sad."
Kaizer, an avid hunter himself, said hunting accidents are easily preventable by following basic safety rules.
"You don't ever point your gun at anything if there are any ifs at all," Kaizer said. "Don't point unless you're sure."

Old 12-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

How odd?

Is Orange County part of the new SZ rifle expansion?

Edit* No, I checked. While rifles are allowed, Orange County is part of the existing contingent of rifle-counties prior to the SZ expansion. Initially, I thought this was more than simply a hunting accident due to the rifle use, seemed like it'd a crime beyond the apparent, but it still is too bad to see.

It being a kid is the worst part. Long term effects for many involved.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:51 AM
jf5

Very Sad. May God look over all effected.