Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 The stuck buck (pics) >

The stuck buck (pics)

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

The stuck buck (pics)

Old 11-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The stuck buck (pics)

Old 11-22-2005, 06:09 PM

Default RE: The stuck buck (pics)

Iprolly woulda done the same thing... I find myself sometimes getting attached to the buck you hunt for so long.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems ironic that I tried like hell to kill him all seasonbut didn't want to when he was "tied to a tree". If I would have been able to free him that morning and then seen him at my stand later in the day, I wouldn't even blink twice about putting an arrow through his ribs. Something to do with fair chase and ethics I guess.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats Livbucks!

The congratulations are for being the kind of sportsmen we need more of! You sacrificed your tag so that a great animal would not be wasted. Lots of guys would have simply shot him and left the fence out of the story. Some would haveshot him and with noshame and still boasted as if their hunting skill waswhat got them that buck.

You made the best of a tough situation,we need more sportsmen like you!
Old 11-23-2005, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Good job Livbucks !!!! I think you should have been give another buck tag for the deed that you did, I to wonder how many hunters would have did that. Thanks
Old 11-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is a sad way for him to end like that. You certainly did the right thing. I know I'd have felt the same way.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Seems ironic that I tried like hell to kill him all seasonbut didn't want to when he was "tied to a tree". If I would have been able to free him that morning and then seen him at my stand later in the day, I wouldn't even blink twice about putting an arrow through his ribs. Something to do with fair chase and ethics I guess.
I agree with you 100% ......I was faced with a similar situation just last year. I was walking through a brushy area on my way back to the truck during gun season. I saw antlers sticking up from the brush, I shouldered my rifle and got closer, only to find one of the nicer bucks I had been watching during bow season, laying there obviously in pain. I tried everything I could do to spook him, to see if he could get up, but he couldnt. He was obviously hurt beyond help. So after sitting there for literally 20 min debating what I should do, I decided to use my tag and put him out of his misery. (Thinking at least the meat will go to use.) So I shot him and went over to see what was was initially wrong with him. He had a huge hole in his brisket right in front of his shoulder, so big I could see into his chest cavity from standing 5 feet away. He was laying down in the mud I guess to try and stop the bleeding. So I gutted him checked him in and took him back to the barn to cut up. As I was skinning him, I noticed 2 areas on his hind quarters that were "puffy". As I sliced them with my knife, a pancake batter looking stuff oozed from both of them. He had been shot the previous year in the hind quarters with a 30 cal bullet (it was still in him) and that had gotten infected very badly. I called Maryland DNR and they sent an officer out to look at it, and he agreed with me that I should not eat the deer. But when I asked if I could have another tag he said NO! I told him I was trying to do the right thing, but he said he still coulndt issue me another tag. [:@]
Old 11-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kudo's...
Old 11-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 12-02-2005, 08:01 PM

You did the right thing man, and thanks for sharing the story. I'm glad you found him when you did. I've heard so many stories of deer being found like that, but always with the deer being dead many days before being found. [&o]

Quick Reply: The stuck buck (pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.