Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 1 DEER AND YOUR DONE >

1 DEER AND YOUR DONE

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

1 DEER AND YOUR DONE

Old 12-20-2005, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 1 DEER AND YOUR DONE

whose to say those deer kill numbers are right or even close. i honestly believe the GC has nop clue on how many deer are taken each year especially if their main source of deer kills are from report cards or game processors. IMO they just put out a number they feel comfortable with depending on how the people are talkin. watch this year's deer kill will be slightly down from last year. when most people i have talked to have never seen it so bad.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:19 AM

But what is not enough? What is too many?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

If these folks are shooting 5 deer in area 2G, then they are either using DMAP permits which are for private land, or doing it illegally. 2G doe permits were gone before non-residents, such as my group, could apply. So they were also gone before residents could go for a second one. That only leaves a few options:

- restricted to 1 buck and 1 doe
- add in DMAP
- illegal
- not done in 2G

2G had a HUGE cut in doe tags for this year, I expect another huge cut for next year. My group hunts in Potter Co and saw VERY FEW deer this year, one guy didn't see any, sign was signifigantly reduced and food was EVERYWHERE. That area can hold more deer and PGC seems to have figured that out and reduced doe tags, hopefully they will reduce it even more.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: dirz1

Mr. patrkyhntr. Iunderstand where you are coming from but don't you see a problem with the numbers you posted. They arean estimate and nothing more than that. Theyhonestly don't know how many deer are in the state and how many deer have been harvested. I really don't see how theycan implement a deer managementprogram withoutknowing this information. And they continue to say that next year we will have the same seasons. WTF!!!!!
Actually, sir, I do see a problem. It is that those who call themselves sportsmen in this state are too lazy to send in a postage free postcard and report their kills. Only forty percent of us send them in. This is inexcusable. And you have the gall to blame the Pa. Game Commission because their numbers aren't accurate? Give me a break, fella.
If you think those figures are not accurate, perhaps you can give me a source for some more accurate ones? Until "sportsmen" in this state begin to see that they are the problem and send in report cards on harvests we will have to base deer management on the estimates. If you have a better idea, show up in Harrisburg with it.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

How many deer do y'all PA boys consider enough ?
BTW , they call it an estimate for a reason , no state GC knows exactly how many deer they have . My region of Indiana has 30-45 deer per square mile as of the last estimate , and a state average of 15-20 , and I don't see deer every single time I go out . Your state also fields at least 3 times as many hunters as mine and had an estimated herd over twice as large as ours .
Old 12-20-2005, 11:06 AM

First of all, I wasn't personally attacking you with my question. But since you want to make it personal, I could debate with you all day! Do you work for the PGC or do you have a relative that works for them? I could think of a better way to do it. Have mandatory check stations like almost every other state in the country does. If hunters don't want to send there cards them force the issue another way. That is the way any other business would go about it, but what do I know I am just a lazy wannabe sportsman.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

lot were those d-map tags.they LEGALLY got 5 deer.cant say where they went in 2g or outside of 2g.i only heard comments like, they got 4 doe and a buck.most of this was last year on those 5 deer as those same ones only got like 3 deer this year.my point is, thats not fair to deer here in 2g and also to other hunters that are not in woods as often to harvest 3 deer or 5 deer each, let alone seeing 1 deer.you see my point.if the county was over populated with deer, i could see something like this.but in clinton county and 2g,there is no over population.my own opinion, i believe we are down to 2 deer per sq. mile .just what i have been seeing and what hunters are saying they see .personelly , i would like to see doe hunting stopped all together but i thought 1 deer and done would be fair and maybe stop hunter from shooting a doe,waiting for a buck.hope i am not offending anyone but we are in grave danger of losing the best sport that i have ever done.its very bad here in 2g and future does not look bright.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check in stations are an east coast, small state thing, mostly north east. Most states do not do this.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Bob H in NH

Check in stations are an east coast, small state thing, mostly north east. Most states do not do this.
I know some midwest states do it like Nebraska.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:26 PM

thats not fair to deer here in 2g and also to other hunters that are not in woods as often to harvest 3 deer or 5 deer each, let alone seeing 1 deer.you see my point
Everyone has the same opportunity to hunt for deer. How you decide to spend it (working, hunting, sleeping or whatever) is a personal choice. Don't come crying because guysthat built up comp time beforethe season or have vacation time so they can hunt and you cannot because of personal decisions you made. We all have a 2 week rifle season.

Quick Reply: 1 DEER AND YOUR DONE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.