Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 "Untagged Deer" DEC ticket continued >

"Untagged Deer" DEC ticket continued

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

"Untagged Deer" DEC ticket continued

Old 12-09-2005, 06:09 PM

Default "Untagged Deer" DEC ticket continued

Well after pleading guilty with a lengthy explanation 2 weeks ago via mail. I got my verdict today. I was fined $150 total. No court fees(weird I know). I'm glad its over BUT I'll tell you this, the NYDEC will not be getting any extra $$$ from me. The officer could have given me the benefit of the doubt and just warned me. I wasn't hiding anything and had no intention of breaking the law.*** for those of you that didn't see my first post ,I was ticketed for not putting the tag on my deer immediately. For years,I always tagged the deer in the barn*** So like I was saying, Ever year I get the super sportsman and every year I only fill out one buck tag(knock wood). I figured the money was going to a good cause. Well not any more. From now on I will only get the big game tag and no more.. If they want to play by the books then so will I. Thanks for letting me vent guys.... O yeah don't forget to tag them deer ASAP
Old 12-09-2005, 06:59 PM

Default RE: "Untagged Deer" DEC ticket continued

You don't have to tag a deer right away. You have to fill out the tag right away. When you get to your vehicle you must tag the deer. It should be filled out as soon as it's dead.........but you don't have to tag it because it will just get destroyed dragging it through the woods.

Did you not have your tag filled out even???........If it wasn't even filled out then the DEC officer had every right to suspect a shady deal. If it was filled out and just not attached then he was being a dork (even if he was right)
Old 12-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

so you arent going to give the DEC money because they actually are enforcing laws? Whether you knowinlgy broke the law or not, you still transported a deer on a four wheeler, which is a vehicle

it sucks, but thats their job
Old 12-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

O yeah don't forget to tag them deer ASAP
DUH!! thanks for the tip.

I don't understand your gripe with getting a ticket. You did something illegal. Bravo to the officer!!
Old 12-11-2005, 10:23 PM

So let me see if I have this straight...you arent going to purchase the "ultimate" license, which basically goes to support wildlife, because you got caught doing what every guy who "jacks" deer does. I AM NOT SAYING YOU WERE JACKING A DEER...but think about how many times that same DEC agent has heard...oh damn, I forgot to fill out the tag, I didnt know the law, whatever. It isnt the officers job to be a great guy and let you off...its YOUR job to know the laws in the state you hunt...period. Thats why every out of state license I have ever purchased comes with a regulations "bible" I am guessing. I mean going from your point of view...if I were hunting in your area...and I didnt know it was only small game season and dropped a monster buck, would you be satisfied with me saying "I had no idea of the law"?Nah...you would be praising the same guy you call a prick for doing his job...just like he did with you.

But hey, what do I know...
Frankie
Old 12-12-2005, 05:02 PM
RMQ

southpaw,
whether the DEC officer was being too strict or not is irrelevant; the fact is something happened, you admitted it and took care of it like a true hunter should. Well done, and a lesson learned for all of us. Its hard to see things from an officers side sometimes and what his past experiences have conditioned him to think in these situation (right or wrong) but it sounds like you handled it very well and came out of it relatively well all things concidered. Just try not to let this spoil something you enjoy doing; we all make mistakes, we just need to try and make them a positive learing experience and move on.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

You know how many times a DEC officer hears" I was going to fill out the tag after I got in the barn?" You expect him to believe you why?
Old 12-13-2005, 05:18 PM

You guys are right, the officer was doing his job. I do believe that one of the qualities of a good cop is there ability to read the situation. In my case I wasn't hiding anything. It was broad daylight,50 feet from the road,in the front of the barn with the door wide open.I was taking pictures of the deer!!I was clearlydumb founded by my misinterpretation of the law. So much so that the officer even went to find his book to show me the rule. If he thought I was jacking a deer, he wouldn'thave shown me that. So then he whips out histicket book and writes me up.In my head I'm thinking huh[:-] he's gonna write me up, O'well I did break the law.. Now out of the possible fine range of $50 to $200. They hit me with $150... 3/4 of the max!! For a first time offender[:@] Did the officer do his job? Absolutely.. Did the DEC put there best foot forward? Not in my eyes..
Old 12-13-2005, 10:48 PM

Ah...live and learn...I had a bachelor group come in when NJ first did the 3 point rule a few years ago...needless to say the 120's class8 pointer jumps the string and I hit a fork horn in the ass...let me re-phrase femoral artery...thing went 15 feet and flopped. I did the right thing and checked it with a lengthy explination rather than leave it to rot...(I even offered to let them see trail cam pics of the bachelor group from that morning)...cost me $200.00 and a mark on my license for 2 years...mistakes cost money...I like to look at it as an extra donation to wildlife research and habitat...and besides I have spent more than that on worse things...(usuallywomen with loose morals and big hooters...)

Frankie