Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To be continued

Old 11-01-2008, 08:34 PM

Default To be continued

A button buck came bounding out of the woods on the west side of the 3 acre abandoned pasture I was hunting. He stop in the middle of the north edge and looked back at the trail he came from. 30 seconds later a nice basket 8point came out of the same trail looking for love! I had placed estrus urine and called him with my primos can call.
He worked his way across the pasture methodically, and started to zig zag at about 60yards from my stand. When he was 40 yards (It was actually 30 yards) I had him quartering away. I placed my 40yard pin behind his shoulder, just below center and let my arrow fly!
He jumped, spun 180deg and ran 100 yards before I could hit the primos call… He was still thinking with his “Unit” and stop in his track. He looked back, chest out, with no signs that he was hit!!! “No way I missed!” I told myself in disgust. But he was coming back and going to give me a second try. He walked smoothly to the other side of a small pond and stomped his foot in my direction. Over the next minute and a half he worked his way back to 60 yards, at which point I could see I had not missed. I could see the vanes of my arrow behind the shoulder, but in the top third of his body. It was just a waiting game now.
Then the unthinkable happened… a neighbor came walking back from his stand (on his side of the tree line) and startled my buck!!! Now I have a deer that has a high entry wound so it’s not leaving a blood trail, and he’s running from danger…..

The search starts tomorrow!!!!

Old 11-01-2008, 08:37 PM

Default RE: To be continued

I think it was the buck above that I shot today. The buck below is from the same camera... I just found out about him today!!

Old 11-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck on your search, I hope to see pics of you sitting behind him tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Really good luck tomorrow morning. It's a shame you couldn't get a second arrow in him.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will find your deer. Good luck in the morning!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

a friend of mine shot one in the same place that you shot yours and did not recover the deer.....well 2 weeks later in shotgun season he saw the same deer and his arrow was still in it! He got the deer with the gun but it was acting a little sick so i doubt that you will find it but who knows
Old 11-02-2008, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: 125py

a friend of mine shot one in the same place that you shot yours and did not recover the deer.....well 2 weeks later in shotgun season he saw the same deer and his arrow was still in it! He got the deer with the gun but it was acting a little sick so i doubt that you will find it but who knows
You were correct!!! it sucks to think there is a deer out there carrying my arrow. Searched for 5 hours and found NOTHING. Circled the cornfields in the area, check low areas, check areas with water, under pine trees... Spent the last few hours in a tree stand where I last saw him in hopes I would see a buzzard or crows.... NOTHING, and now my hunting area is shot for a while because of my 5 hours of circling.