Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 First PA Deer Hunting trip >

First PA Deer Hunting trip

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

First PA Deer Hunting trip

Old 12-09-2005, 06:23 AM

Default RE: First PA Deer Hunting trip

Rufneck - I did do some scouting but it was limited we relied alot on the hunting logs we keep at the camp that date back to `53 - we hunted from some old stands that produced the majority of bucks in the past - but this year we found a bunch of nice places to setup for next season and we'll be getting in throughout the year to do some more scouting. I bought a new house over the summer and alot of time went into the move and getting everything situated so I didn't get into the wood prior to season as much as I would have liked and the rest of my hunting party is a 5 1/2 - 6 drive from the camp so they didn't get down much either -

The wind probably did have alot to do with the spookiness of the deer and they do hit the area hard for beer even though our property is private property we do not post it and people for the most part stay off the property but they do cross over during bear season because they know that no one hunts bear out of our camp and 4 bear were taken from the camp wose property borders ours.

Alot of Mountain Laurel for the deer to hide in too. That is some tough stuff to hunt. I watched a couple of doe cross a logging rd and go into some of that stuff - they weren't 5 yrds into it and i could hardly tell they were there anymore. We should have seen more deer though in my opinion - there were a ton of acorns and apples out there this year - it maybe that there was too much food on the property and surrounding land that they weren't really concentrating on one area to feed in because the food was pretty much everywhere.

Thanks for the input on the season guys - I filled my freezer with 4 total in Western NY Cattaraugus County through - so that took the pressure off getting one in PA - (2 in Archery 6 ptr and doe - 2 in rifle 7 ptr and doe)
Old 12-10-2005, 02:45 PM

Default RE: First PA Deer Hunting trip

Sounds like alot of deer on just 500, your lucky to see that many up here.Its the last four days of bow here I went out In 15 inches of snow found the deer only about 6 in 2 miles.