Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Conservation Officers >

NY Conservation Officers

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Conservation Officers

Old 12-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NY Conservation Officers

Maybe if the public knew their complete job description they would realize we need alot more of them.They do more then chase hunters.

The Division of Law Enforcement is responsible for enforcing all of New York's Environmental Conservation Laws relating to hunting, fishing, trapping, license requirements, guides, endangered species, commercial inland fishing, possession, transportation and sale of fish and wildlife, importation and sale of fish and wildlife from outside the state, sale of domestic and foreign game, taxidermy, plumage, private propagation of fish and wildlife, shooting and fishing preserves, trespass, and damage to property and livestock by hunters and fishermen.
Environmental Conservation Officers are responsible for enforcing statutes regulating the harvest of marine species including shellfish (oysters, scallops and clams), lobsters, crabs and saltwater fish.
Since the enactment of the Environmental Conservation Law in 1970, the Division's officers have been assigned the function of enforcing the environmental protection provisions derived from the former Conservation Law, Agriculture and Markets Law and Public Health Law. Generally, these environmental protection statutes prohibit air and water pollution, pesticide pollution and regulate the disposal of solid wastes. Division officers are also responsible for enforcing laws regulating the transportation, storage and disposal of hazardous waste, and the illegal disposal of regulated medical waste.
Water pollution control duties include the investigation of discharges which contravene water standards, oil and chemical spills and fish kills. Environmental Conservation Officers also enforce statutes protecting streams, navigable waters and adjacent marshes from unauthorized disturbances and filling activity.
Air pollution control responsibilities include enforcing laws prohibiting open fires, excessive stack emissions and idling diesels.
Solid waste pollution control duties include inspecting landfill operations to ensure compliance with regulations, policing operators of septic tank and industrial waste disposal firms, monitoring legal and patrolling for illegal construction and demolition sites, and enforcing the Returnable Container Law.
Environmental Conservation Officers inspect retail outlets for the illegal sale of detergents containing excessive amounts of phosphorous. Officers are also alert for violations involving the illegal sale of banned pesticides or restricted pesticides. Division officers are assigned the responsibility of enforcing sections of the Environmental Conservation Law, containing the Freshwater Wetlands Act and the Mined Land Reclamation Act. The first act is designed to protect freshwater wetlands from destruction and the second to restore the environment after mining operations (including sand and gravel) are concluded.
The Division's officers enforce the provisions of New York's Navigation Law which regulates the operation of both commercial and pleasure vessels. The chapter includes a tough section which makes it a misdemeanor (crime) to operate a vessel on New York waters which is equipped with a toilet unless the vessel is also equipped with an approved holding tank for sewage.
Environmental Conservation Officers enforce the prohibitions contained in the State's Parks and Recreation Law which regulate the operation of snowmobiles. Special emphasis is directed toward reducing the number of fatalities which occur through illegal operation on highways. Officers enforce the State's Vehicle and Traffic Law provisions designed to prevent the degradation of the environment including prohibitions against littering, excessive exhaust smoke and inadequate muffler.
[/align]Every enforcement agency devotes a measure of time to non-enforcement activities. Environmental Conservation Officers participate in public relations efforts, information and education programs and search and rescue operations. Officers investigate hunting incidents and assist at hunter safety training courses.

I grew up near a family that was well respected in the community. It was also a well known fact that the father and son would take as many bucks as they would see fit every year.

It's amazing what gets you respect in some communities.[:'(]

The reason no one frowned upon this activity was that this family only hunted in season, and in an otherwise very ethical manner.
You mean they didn't shoot them out of their cars or have a feeder on their property. Wow great guys.

They were simply hunting for their food.
That's one way to look at it. What does a high ranking NYS trooper make a year proably close to six figures would be my bet.

Wonder what the people that weren't seeing any bucks thought about this upstanding family?

You shoot 24 bucks in a year you are not using all the meat, your pulling back straps and hind quarters and leaving the rest for the coyotes and birds.

Back on topic.

Do you think we should have more conservation officers roaming around?Yup. I used to get checked a lot on the Susquehanna walleye fishing. Until thewomen realized I was legit,then she just left me alone.

Had an incident in Windsor were I had filled the wrong tag out (wrong WMU) and left it on the seat.Then I legally tagged the deer.That was on opening day gun season same guy pulled me over that Sunday in Vestal. Two DEC officers one checking my gun the other is checking my license he say's my name out loud thefirst cop spins around like he won the lottery.

He starts asking me questions so I tell him exactly what happened. I filled a tag out for the wrong WMU, and then corrected my mistake the hide was in my garage with the tag the deer was already cut up and I had called it in. Told him I had destroyed the other tag.

Two cops covering over 40 miles,that's kinda thin.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have never seen any while hunting, but i hunt large areas of private land, where iw oudlnt expect an officer to be wandering around.

fishing is a different story though, i have seen quite a few while the salmon are spawning.
i have seen the DEC drive up and down my road in the fall, i live on a remote dead end road too.

When one fo our neighbors shot a turkey out of season in his backyard, we called the DEC and two days later they came to his house, confiscated the turkey, and gave them a ticket. Same guys got busted the following year for hunting after being tagged out and hunting from a 4 wheeler. If you call the DEC to report a specific act of poaching, they should have to investigate it.

the former city poilce chief near me used to go into the public park while on duty at night, shoot deer with his hand gun, then go back and pick them up after he got of his shift. Neighbors said he had deer hanging in his basement year round. Absolute powere corrupts absolutely. This really has nothing to do with the lack of DEC officers, but goes along with the other story someone posted
Old 12-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

i wouldn't mind paying more taxes for more officers. i know a guy who has a tub full of food 20' from his stand. yep, he gets a buck every year. i would love it if the DEC would post out there opening day to nab him. I've never seen a officer either. heck i don't even know if i could i.d. one in a uniform. lets face it the gov't doesn't give a sh#t about the environment. it's all about oil and business and the next big money maker. the way i look at it poachers are just one of those problems ethical hunters might have to handle in there own way.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Until the shortage of COs is corrected,
I feel that we as hunters MUST do are part and help the COs out by turning in hunters that are doing wrong and stop looking the other way.

If poachers know that there being watched and will not be ignored by other hunters than they just might be less active. This is what I feel, around my house people know that I don't put up with poaching and will collect all the info I can (pictures, film, car make, number of hunters, or anything else that I can think of at the time) to help the COs catch poachers.

I inturn I see more deer and see less road hunting activity. It is the same with trespassers if you just kick them off than they return but if you have charges brought agents them than they never return.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Why would anyone WANT to go through the rigors of becoming an ECO, and be severely underpaid?

Pay them more, and there'll be more people interested.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

THis is a really difficult issue.There are not nearly enough conservation officers,they practically have to witness the act or as others have said have a witness and the witness's testimony to prosecute.It is really hard to get convictions.
In our area some of the known poachers compete with one another to see who get certain identified big deer first.There is a guy in our community who killed two huge bucks with a 22 hornet during bow season,the guy shoots huge deer every year,everybody knows it and nothing has been done about it.
I don't think much will change any time soon.It is not perceived as enough of a priority.
In regard to the description of the high ranking state trooper(I am in no way finding fault with the poster) it doesn't bring me much comfort that a person in that position can justify that kind of behavior.Aside from his obvious disregard for game laws it would seem that he would have been putting his job at risk,so obviously not the brightest guy around!
Old 12-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been stopped a couple times - but basically just chatted with the officer. I don't think he ever asked me for a liscence. He knew we own property on the dead end road - and was asking if we'd had poaching problems.

Still some good points have been made. And the worst fact is that there is an underlying culture of hunters that use their wive's tags, or don't tag a few deer. Like was said - its known, and tolerated in many areas of the state.

I don't know how to change this - I don't think even 2X the COs would slove the problem.

Sorry I don't have an answer.

FH

Old 12-10-2005, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

With regard to deer hunting anyway I really don't think we have a problem with the number of CO's.Deer numbers are fine and many argue there are actually too many. In any case, far and away the major impact on total deer numbers is the number of doe permits that are issued.Poaching just isn't a major problem with regard to total numbers so more CO's to crack down on some guys baiting or taking a few more deer than their entitled to is to me not worth the added tax burden. Besides, regardless of how many CO's we have there will still be guys out thereusing their wifes tag or whatever illegal method they want to take the number of deer they want. I really don't care that much. If they don't waste the meat then fine. I like to take 2 deer a year and have never had any problem doing it. Even with the cut back in our region, I still have 4 tags. Don't get me wrong, I don't approve of illegal hunting, I just think there are far more important crime problems for out tax dollars to be spent on than game violations.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:13 AM

if the DEC keeps giving out slaughter permits they will be out of business.. what will we have left to hunt?