Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Conservation Officers??

Old 08-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Conservation Officers??

I am currently closing in on the completion of my Bachelor's Degree in Law Enforcement and Justice Administration at Western Illinois University. I was simply wishing to inquire about any tips for achieving my dream job from any of you who have made it to become a CPO, as I realize it is an elite field and a career in this area isn't simply handed out. Will being a veteran help? What is the best way for me to be aware of job openings? Is there anything I can do now to get help me get ahead of the next applicant? What tips and suggestions do any of you with experience in this field have for me?? Thanks!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:03 PM

Default RE: Conservation Officers??

I don't want to burst your bubble here about this being a really tough field to get into but...
I recently read in the news that there are several states that are having trouble filling their conservation officer positions. This might not be as tough to get into as it used to be. They cited several reasons for the shortage, but I don't remember them. I am not saying that this is the case nation wide, but there were several states listed.
Because this is a govenment job, being a veteran should help. Most government jobs will give 5-10 point bonus to you unde the veterans preferance thing.
Good luck to you!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I sure hope that is the case. This position would certainly be my dream job, thanks for the info and your wishes! I had a colleague inform me that a county less than an hour from here hired an officer but only advertised through the county's local paper! I am willing to search long and hard to achieve this goal, but by golly I can't subscribe to every local paper in the state!! Anyone else with information or suggestions??
Old 08-31-2007, 10:20 PM

I think what hurts recruiting is the people interested in the job are the ones who will want time off during hunting season. Realize going in that your busiest time of year will be during hunting season. How much time off do the guys at H&R Block get between Jan.and April? You get the idea. The flip side is you get to work outdoors.

Most states give bonus points on your exam for being a veteran, so that will definitely help, because the top test scores will be very close. Where you will really separate yourself from the herd will be in the interview. Sometimes the ones doing the interview will be the same ones administering the exam, so look sharp for the test. Other than that, I can't really help, I was a city cop. Good luck to you.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:32 PM

As far as Michigan goes, if you are a vetern it will help you in becoming a Conservation Officer (CO).

Visit the Michigan DNR website for more.
www.michigan.gov/dnr

Click on the "Law Enforcement" tab on the left side of the screen and then click on "Hoe to Become a Conservation Officer".

Also, ALL state of Michigan jobs are through Civil Service.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Ask huntnma she is a Florida Wildlife Conservation Tech.....
Old 09-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

In Texas there are two levels of conservation officers. Game Wardens and Wildlife Police Officers. Both are tough positions to fill with one being a full fledged police officer not only in the field but a true State Authorized Criminal Police Officer.
The requirements are very tough to be in either field requiring a Batchelors Degree for either one and extensive training in law enforcement plus the field enforcement.
I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration (and envy) of the men and women who wish to pursue this type of career. It's hard, it's dangerous, it's 24\7\365, and it's uncompromising in its benefits (except psychological).

Hang in there and good luck and be careful.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's what you need to know for ISP/IDNR...

http://dnr.state.il.us/Law3/careernew.htm
Old 09-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

deleted
Old 09-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

I am a State Trooper here in IN and one thing I know is that our CO's follow a similar pay scale to the State Police. I also know that Illinois has one of the if not the highest paid state police in the country. $90k at twenty years which is unheard of in the police business. So if you are in the Illinois area and can get on there that might be a bonus. On the flip side of that in 1999 when I joined our force there were about 800 applicants for 75 jobs. That same year Illinois had almost 4000 apllicants for about 100 jobs. Simply because of the pay. Good luck it is a great career.

Quick Reply: Conservation Officers??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.