Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Land to hunt in CT >

Land to hunt in CT

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Land to hunt in CT

Old 10-14-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Land to hunt in CT

Still looking for some private land to hunt in CT. I bought a bow this year and I am still working on the practice range. I have some state land to hunt, but would like to find some private land in Fairfield county for bow and rifle. If anyone knows any, please let me know.

Good luck out there!
Old 10-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Land to hunt in CT

Its out there you just have to burn up some shoe leather. I don't think anyone is going to give up where they have private land to hunt I am sure it cost them a lot of shoe leather themselvs. I know it did me. Ct. is a tough state and once you get premission you hold it like gold. Its late in the year now but next year get up off the chair turn off the TV knock on some doors help a farmer out with a little work and with some luck you will set yourself up for next year. good Luck with it Mike
Old 10-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Spike

Default RE: Land to hunt in CT

Mike Hill is right but for one thing. It takes more than shoe leather. It takes luck and personal connections. or lots of money to buy your own property. In this state the day is long past when you could knock on a door and with a little polite conversation get permission to hunt (and that was for small game as there was no deer hunting until about 30 years ago). Offering work sounds good, but the farmers I deal with (I got permission via a family friend) don't want any uninsured amateurs messing around on their property. So unless you are a licensed tradesman, that won't work. Of course, you could always offer money.

My suggestion is to be patient and be alert for leads. Talk to people and cultivate relationships. Look in odd places. One good person to talk with could be your vet (I give mine vension steaks every year), especially if he / she does any large animal work. Another person to cultivate could be the owner of the LOCAL (not Walmart or the supermarket - remember this is all about social ties) feed store owner who sells you dog food and gardening stuff. They may also sell to farmers or other landowners.

Also join local organizations. Go to local gunshops. Etc.