Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pa deer count day 1 >

Pa deer count day 1

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa deer count day 1

Old 10-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pa deer count day 1

Saw 3 bucks together, and killed a decent 2.5 y.o. 8 pointer. Not the big guy, but too nice to pass.

Saw 12 deer altogether in the morning. 9 doe. Also saw a heap of turkeys and a raccoon. A good day on stand.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:10 AM

I saw 8 deer altogether. The first on I saw a nice BIG 8 point came in at 7:10AM. shot him at 25 yeard but then never found him. I am really sick about it.[:'(] I hit him a little back but not a gut shot. I didn't even track him for 4 hours after the shot. He went 400 years before he even stopped and he never layed down. At 400 yard I found 5 puddles of blood where he stood and that was the last bloodI saw. I have never lost a deer and it makes me sick to loose an 8 point like that one. I think the nearby farmer may have driven into his fieldnear the woods and spooked him and he just bolted. Searched until dark and found nothing.[&o]
Old 10-03-2005, 11:08 AM

Worst 1st day ever. Never even went in the morning. My Dad set the alarm wrong. Evening hunt was completely ruined. I have been hunting this small piece of private ground and there is a few houses in the nearby area. There must have been someone target shooting there handguns. They were shooting them non-stop from 4:30 until 6. Needless to say we saw no deer.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:39 PM

I envy you guys that got the opportunity to get out on Saturday! The weather was perfect. I had the kids while my wife was running in a 5K race. It was her first race since high school (almost 20 years ago) - I'm proud of her! My son's birthday party is next Saturday, then the wife has another 5K the following Saturday. Needless to say, it'll be a few weeks before I get out.

I ran out to get a pizza around 6:30 on Saturday and counted 49 deer (50 if you include the decoy I saw in a cut field)...only two bucks (six pointers). It was a six mile stretch through cut cornfields in Bucks County.

The decoy was in a field that I usually see a real nice 9-pointer inon my way to work in the morning...I wish the guy luck - he's a real brute.

My hands were shaking by the time I got home with the pizza. I had "buck fever" and I wasn't even in my stand!

Best of luck!
Old 10-03-2005, 07:36 PM

I wacked a doe at 630. From then on I saw 2 8 points, a unicorn(one horned spike) and then a nice big 8 or 9 pointer and another doe.. My buddy doug shot an 8 pointer. My other buddy rile1564.. saw all of our deer and didnt get a shot.

However.. I hit one and lost it.. I stuck him right square in the shoulder joint and broke 4" off the arrow.. ligt blood trail and no bubbles inthe blood. We looked for 6 hours and no dice.

Later around dusk we saw two bruisers duking it out for 10 minutes. We had some smaller bucks do some light sparring and some of the bucks were grunting.. Earliest i have ever seen it

Ill be out thursday night.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:36 AM

I was able to kill a 6 point on opening morning Of the PA season. He has been crippled up by a car. There was a coyote working the area and he came limping in at about 7:30. It was nice and cool early and the deer were moving.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to post this soo late. But I scored on Saturday evening around 6:20. I shot a nice fat 5 pointer. I know it wasn't a trophy to some guys but he was to me. I don't seem to have all the aces in archery season so I was happy. It all happened soo fast, I got into my stand around 3:30 on Saturday evening.Then around 4:30 outa nowhere steps a nice eight pointer at 10 yards. I never heard him and there I was sitting in my climber and he staring up at me. In what seems like an eternity hoping he would put his head down and eat or look away so I could draw, he stops his front hoofs at me and instantly I Knew I was busted. Then after what seemed like minutes he calmly walks back into the brush. The area I was hunting was extremely thick and my longest possible shot might have been 25 yards. So I sat there kicking myself over and over in my stand. Then around 6:15 I see a tree shake about 30 yards from me. And I knew it was the tell tale sign of a buck raking it over. This really got my heart pumping and then a few minutes later my buck walks down the same trail but this time I was ready for him standing at full draw. He got into the clearing at about 8-10 yards after making sure there were brown tiines I whistled lightly to get him to stop and the rest is a whirlwind. He piled up about 40 yards from whereI shot him.Iwill try and post pictures but I have to wait for the film to be developed, unfortunatly my digital cameraI left at work. Hewould have been a typical six pointer but his right brow tine was brokenoff. Other thenthat my deer count was Saturday morning 6 does, and a spike buck, and then Saturday night 4 doe,an eightpointer and the buck I shot.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

wvbowhunter:

Congratulations: Is the buck missing part of his right leg???
Old 10-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Front left leg I mean whoops