Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pre-rut already ?!?!? >

Pre-rut already ?!?!?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pre-rut already ?!?!?

Old 10-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pre-rut already ?!?!?

I don't know about anyone else but it seems pretty early for the bucks to be pre-rutting but from what my brother saw and everyone else's posts it seems like it may be. I've read a lot of posts about bucks following the does. My brother was also out Saturday and had three doe come by him at 20 yards with a 6 point hot on their tails with his nose to the ground. Of course he did get a shot off but hit a branch and missed clean. The buck hopped 30 yards and went right back to following the does. How many other people have seen this activity?
Old 10-03-2005, 10:18 AM

Default RE: Pre-rut already ?!?!?

I have not seen bucks tailing does, but while tracking the buck that i shot Saturday I found at 10 scrapes. It was amazing!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:06 AM

I've seen a buck harrasing a doe while she was eating twice.I am not sure what that means but i have read alot of posts saying the same thing so who knows??
Old 10-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have been hearing alot of pre-rut type behavior reports from other hunters....excessive rubs and scrapes, bucks fighting, etc... Heck, even the buck I shot was really sniffin' the heck out of the curiousity scent I had hangin' on one of the branches.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive seen all of the pre rut activity but I just cant believe its actually starting. Ive seen bucks chasing bucks, locking horns, pushing each other around with ears back, following does, making scrapes and rubs, etc etc

I think the extreme temerature swings have made them frisky but thats about it.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt the actual breeding will occur any sooner than usual, but maybe there will be an extended pre rut period this year. If you think about it, we are only about 2-3 weeks before the bucks start to become interested....it's not really that much sooner.

I also saw a 2 1/2 year old 3 pointer hot on the trail of a large doe that was in a family group on Saturday. He was sniffing her hindquarters and chasing her around. After about 5 minutes of circling my stand, the doe and fawns finally got tired of it and took off running to get away from him.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:47 PM

Saturday.. We had some smaller bucks sparring and had some bucks grunting. Later in the evening we drove by a field and there were two bruisers duking it out hardcore for 10 minutes.. I havent anything like this this early in the season
Old 10-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I saw an 8pt trailing behind a couple of does but they were in some thick stuff 50 yrds out. I was real supprised to see this so early! Had a great day all around.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

saturday i saw a buck grunting hot one doe! could be on soon
Old 10-03-2005, 10:23 PM

I see it I had 2 small bucks come in on my code blue doe urine. The one four pt licked and sniffed my climbing peg in my tree. I did a hot doe call on another small buck and he turned right around and came in on me. I'm seeing it's the smaller bucks responding. Not the big one's yet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.