Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Wisconsin Earn A Buck Zones. >

Wisconsin Earn A Buck Zones.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin Earn A Buck Zones.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Wisconsin Earn A Buck Zones.

These are the "Earn A Buck Zones"

..3-5-6-13-14-19-20-47-51A-51B-54C-59D-61-62B-63A-63B
..65B-66-67A-67B-68A-72-78-80A-80B-81
Old 07-30-2004, 06:36 AM

Default RE: Wisconsin Earn A Buck Zones.

Bring it on, should have done this 5 years ago in our unit.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:06 AM

I am a little confused about Earn A Buck? If I tag a doe in EAB unit archery, I can then tag a buck. I understand that. But it also says in the FAQ that you can take 1 buck with each one earned per license. So, does that mean I can take 1 buck for archery and 1 for gun as long as I harvest 2 does??
Old 07-30-2004, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are correct.

Let's say I am bow hunting. On opening morning I shoot a doe, later that morning i shoot a buck. I can take them both in and register them at the same time. Two weeks later I shoot another doe. When I register her I get a buck tag. I try for my trophy buck the rest of bow season, no luck. on opening weekend of gun season I see the big boy. I can take him as I already have a tag for a buck. I don't have to shoot a doe with my rifle.

IMO if you are a bow hunter this is a great situation to shoot a couple of doe and earn your buck tags, then you can hunt for your trophy the rest of the season including rifle. It allows you to spend more time in the woods with your bow and hopefully helps you become a better hunter. Additionally, and the best thing I have seen so far is that fewer young 4,6,8, pointers are being shot and they are becoming nice big 8,10,12's.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:11 PM

I Myself Am Hunting The Tzone In October With Muzzleloader Then Reg Season For Buck With 12 Gauge Remington Express.
Then I Got A Doe Then Opening Day Of Season In Nov. I Can Hunt A Buck. I Hate The Rules For Below Highway 29.
Shotguns Only For Deer And Ofcourse I Live A Mile Away From Rifle Zone.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:59 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Well, EAB is a reality for many of us. It is simply a fact.

Still, no hiding the fact that it pi$$es me and a lot of hunters off.

St. Croix, you state:
Bring it on, should have done this 5 years ago in our unit.
And why is that? Or are you buying into the spin that the DNR and others have created stating that all of the outfitters and private landowners have not done the job of shooting enough does?

If so, here's an important fact to chew on. Outside of the so-called "Eradication Zones" that are set up to supposedly curb the spread of CWD, the doe harvest as a percent of the total kill in UNIT 61 was the HIGHEST in the state. That's right, the highest outside of the CWD areas. Not to mention that the reason that unit is now considered "overpopulated" is due to the reduction in overwinter targets, as opposed to the overall growth of the deer population. So now.....WOOLAH!!...the unit is "overpopulated" and "needs" to have EAB to "get the population back near its target".

Forget about how the DNR counts deer. Forget about the fact that the SAK method of calculating deer population may have flaws. Forget ALL of that. The DNR needed to REDUCE the overwinter population goal to consider unit 61 "overpopulated". Whew! Talk about your rigging of numbers! The DNR must have taken lessons from Chicago political bosses who get the dead to vote!

And by the way,bowhunters, not only do you get EAB, you have a late-October t-zone hunt in your areas as well. That's right, bowhunters!!! Right around peak of the rut, last part of October, you can't shoot a buck, EVEN IF YOU HAVE ALREADY TAKEN A DOE!!!!....thanks to our DNR!!! Please be sure to send them a nice "thank you", right after you email your state representatives and state senators to tell them to just how smart it is to treat the very people who fund the most of the DNR's wildlife management budget....HUNTERS!!!...so well! Tell them how nice it is to hack off the only segment of deerhunting experiencing growth in numbers...bowhunters...by taking one of the very best times to hunt deer with a bow, and instead filling the woods with gunhunters, so that the rest of the bow season can be screwed up as well

Or, if you are a bowhunter and you're willing to put up with this nonsense into perpetuity, sit on the sidelines and do nothing. Heck, next year, maybe they can have a two-week antlerless only hunt right during the whole of the rut! [:@][:@][:@]
Old 08-01-2004, 08:53 PM

in my area here there are lots and lots of does. not on my land tho caus they get shot here. but if u go shining or even in the evenings there are places where there are 40 50 even up to 100 deer NO B.S. my gf's place for example she has tons of deer. i like the idea of tzone better than EAB except not in the end of OCT.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:45 AM

TJD, on the positive side I shoot many does each year and this eab will not affect my stlye of hunting. In fact it may indeed help get some of the bucks to the next age level if other area hunters are not so successfull in harvesting an antlerless deer. It will be real interesting to see what affect this season will have on the age structure of the bucks come next season.

On the negative side, I don't agree with ANY of the DNRs numbers, they are totally out of wack, just take a drive in the evenings! Also, look at the buck mortality rate do you know where this # is derrived from? I do, it makes all the other numbers jive, it is a ficticious # that has no scientific or factual information behind it, just try and ask this question to our wildlife biologist.....
(I have all the #'s from prior seasons @ home)

I guess this season is set, we can sit here and curse it all we want but in reality we will just have to deal with it, at least for this year.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:47 AM
TJD
Fork Horn

ST Croix, you are right in that we have to live with it. But hopefully there will be enough of an uproar over this to make it short-lived.

Like you, I also shoot my share of does. To truly engage in QDM you have to. So in that regard, I have no problem in plugging a few does. The problems I DO have are two-fold:

1) To have EAB and a special antlerless hunt at the end of October is a bunch of bulls#&!. Really ruins the best part of archery season. Basically, you can shoot a doe opening morning in September, and no matter what one of the peak periods for buck movement is STILL taken away from you.

2) With regard to the deer population, you are absolutely right. It is not to say that some areas may have too many deer, but to cook up numbers...and that is what they are, COOKED UP!...to show that more than half the state has an overpopulation of deer is nonsense. Remember early in 2003 when the DNR's own SAK formula indicated that the deer population was actually lower, since one of the main determinants in population for SAK is previous years' buck harvest? Remember what the DNR did in that case? Simply ignored what SAK was telling them and just assumed that the population was higher anyway. What a beautiful formula! When it agrees with the preconceived notion that the deer population is too high, then they use it to justify their rulemaking; when it doesn't agree, they simply throw it aside and chalk it up to statistical abnomality.

Again, the notion that the vast majority of the state is overpopulated is also due to playing with the overwinter goals, i.e. lowering them.

So how did it get to this? We have a bunch of bureaucrats with a vested interest in telling us that there are too many deer. Think about it. From the standpoint of job security, how would the Wildlife Management division of the DNR be more likely to have job security?: a) if they go to the legislature and the governor and tell them about the "complexity of managing the burgeoning Wisconsin deer population", or b) if they tell them "crop damage claims are down and it appears that deer/vehicle collisions are more likely the result of more vehicles in rurl areas".

Enough already! We have to make sure that this is the last year of this nonsense!
Old 08-02-2004, 03:22 PM

I took up bowhunting just to get some more time in the field hunting and maybe get a shot at that huge buck. I understand the other bow hunters getting mad about TZone screwing up movement, but it is here to stay until they think the numbers are right. I myself will be bowhunting as much as possible until then, hunt for does Tzone and be back out bowhunting right after. I am lucky that where I will bowhunt for bucks is not a Tzone area though. I don't have an aswer, but I feel ya..