Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Ohioans....Can we shoot more deer if .... >

Ohioans....Can we shoot more deer if ....

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ohioans....Can we shoot more deer if ....

Old 06-16-2004, 11:24 AM

Default Ohioans....Can we shoot more deer if ....

the State quits releasing coyotes for deer population management?

The State of Ohio has released coyotes for years to manage the deer population. I think we need to offer the hunter more deer taking privileges rather than releasing more coyotes to the wild. The coyotes have ruined the small game population.
Is there something we can do as a hunting community to get this changed?
Old 06-16-2004, 01:20 PM

Default Yes there is....

Shoot as many coyotes as possible. and get the population down, if thats possible.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:03 PM

Default RE: Yes there is....

It is my understanding that the insurance companies pay to put coyotes out to decrease the deer population.
I have had friends who have shot coyotes that have tatooed numbers on the inside of their mouths from insurance companies....
I think this is ruining the hunting in Ohio. (May be happening in other states too.)
Seems like there should be a better way to get things in balance. Give hunters more time and access to hunting the deer.
It's nearly impossible to get rid of the coyotes that have bred in great numbers here.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:14 PM

I have never heard of anyone stocking coyotes. Just doesn't make much sense. Coyotes have little effect on the deer herd as witnessed in Iowa and Illinois. WE too have lots of coyotes but not from stocking. They are reproducing at a fairly high rate here in our states just as they do out west.

I will almost guarantee that coyote stocking is another of the rumors that seem to exist and get told over and over. Let me ask why do you think a coyote would be tatooed even if it was released? Again just doesn't add up.

Ezzy
Old 06-16-2004, 07:56 PM

I think we could get more deer if they didnt release coyotes. My 1st year or deer hunting I was in a field and a 4 pt was working its way to me and a coyote chased it off of I unloaded on the coyote.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:30 PM

Default RE: Ohioans....Can we shoot more deer if ....

well, I learned something tonite...
since Ezzy thought that this may be a rumor, I thought I'd go to the source.

My Dad was a game warden...I belong to a hunting club where a Judge is the owner of the club. Everyone in that club has long thought that the coyote release program is a real program. Tonite I decided to give my long time friend, and active game warden a call.
He said it is not true....WOW!! So many of us have long believed that it is true.
Thanks to Ezzy for making me think twice on that.
So, I guess we just have a boat load of coyotes and we need to clean them out as we can.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sunset...When anything happens, everybody wants to blame the DNR. Not your fault...but the rumors that get started are rediculous.

A few years ago, the WV DNR released a story (joke) about these animals called Abagoochees. The said they had traded a few possums to Tazmania for these things. They had a picture of it in the paper. It looked like a cross between a Furbee and a Wolverine.

Shortly after, the DNR got several reports on people seeing them everywhere. They wanted to hang the head of the DNR on the capital steps. LOL

People need to realize that the folks at the DNR are hunters, too.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:35 PM

man i love them coyotes i get 50 for reguler ones and 100 for blonds bring em on i like em now who needs there coyotes killed take a number ill put you on the list[8D]