Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Here we go again, Wisconsin! >

Here we go again, Wisconsin!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Here we go again, Wisconsin!

Old 03-16-2004, 06:32 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default RE: Here we go again, Wisconsin!

I feel new hunters can grasp this concept better than most old timers that are set in their ways. The get a buck at any cost mentality can change.
I agree. But that does not in any way make an argument in favor of EAB. And it has in many areas, including where I hunt in Unit 61. One of the cornerstones of quality management is the liberal harvesting of does. So if new hunters are brought up to understand that keeping the herd healthy is the best way grow bigger bucks, then there is not a problem. Also, as Brian pointed out, I can't imagine that a youth exception would have any statistical difference on the harvest, or on the DNR's "ability to manage the herd" as they like to put it.

To look at what Brian pointed out on his post, the problem in our unit (61), and I would guess in other units as well, is that the subjective lowering of overwinter goals means that we will be in EAB forever, barring the introduction of a Machine Gun or Napalm Season for deer . With an average of one hunter for every 40 acres, and 1.81 deer per 40 acres, it is silly to use EAB to solve a problem that does not exist. In addition, given the fact that the antlerless harvest in our unit was 62.47% of the total (one of the highest outside the CWD zones), it does not appear that hunters not shooting enough does is the real problem. The problem may be not enough HUNTERS out there to shoot more deer. If that is the case, you can expect EAB to make that problem worse.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

The problem may be not enough HUNTERS out there to shoot more deer. If that is the case, you can expect EAB to make that problem worse.
Perhaps, But with more and more Buffalo county land being bought up and leased .... The numbers of hunters per acre is decreasing .... thus the DNR's ability to adjust deer populations gets weaker every year.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:33 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe we should stop allowing Illinois hunters in, and reposess any and all land and homes that they own. That would cut out some of the hunters and allow more land and deer for everyone else.
Just kidding...well sort of.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

O.K. I'm back.The point I was trying to make was that earn-a-buck will kill many more does than a 23 day season or T-zones ever could. Why? Because all the hunters that would want a buck tag would HAVE TO shoot does.With the other 2 options, thats what you are left with, something you can do if you wish.If some hunters don't shoot does now, why would they with a 23 day season or during T-zone?Lastly, if you're a hunter, then you're a hunter, having to take a doe after taking a buck, to get a buck tag next year, will not deter true hunters.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:43 PM

The next thing I see coming is a doe only season in the really bad spots and the devision of public lands from privat lands on these special seasons. The real problem is the number of hunters on privat lands vs. the deer numbers. It is a run-away train even if only does were killed. I wish someone hade the perfact answer but there is not one that is perfact. Someone will complain no matter what the DNR does.

turkeyhunter_15
Is that your age or IQ?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:57 AM

We have a house on the water, actually a condo , in Winnaconnie and there is a 5 acre field in the middle of all these houses that is some kind of clover.. The deer love it. At ANY time of the day there is deer in it. It is amazing they are there all day and all night. Anyway every evening I count and there is 48 to 54 does, not 1 buck, eating and bedding everyday. The guy that owns it will not let anyone hunt it. He is a gun hunter and i guess waits for a big buck. Never seen a buck there a day in my life. Anyway that is wrong , way to many deer , should be thinned out. All the deer are small because they are competing with so many deer for the same food. The deer walk thru all the yards and crap everywhere. It is ridiculus. I mean they are like homeless they bed 3 feet of the road and stay there when you drive by.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:38 AM

I am all for earn a buck. It was not too long ago we had t-zones. We killed many doe. now we can kill bucks! Who cares if they have antlers or not. Backstraps taste good, male or female. No sympathy from this guy. While you scout out your big buck, I'll be munching on doe. I just might get a wall mount of the best doe jerky I have ever had. Tasted better than antlers.

Besides, I have always been one submissive to females!