Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wisconsin Rut

Old 11-04-2003, 06:56 AM

Default Wisconsin Rut

Anyone from Wisconsin that has seen any rut activity? Seems to me that the buck are starting to show themselves.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:30 AM

Default RE: Wisconsin Rut

I will let you know Sunday when I get back from camp.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:56 AM

I was up to camp the past two weekends and it' s been pretty spotty, although for whatever reason is usually is until about now. I' m heading up Thursday evening and coming home Wednesday evening.

If history repeats itself, either the 9th or 10th, my buddy or I hope to get a wall hanger. We are on a three year roll and hope to make it four on either one of these dates. Eiterh him or me...it doesn' t matter, but those two days have been the best.

I' m up in the Lake Superior snow belt area.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

I am in SE WI and they are just starting to chase. I rattled in a bruiser last week and saw a big 10 pt with two does last night behind my house. I have heard from friends that it has been pretty slow but most are expecting high activity this weekend.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:35 PM
Spike

I just got back from Northern Wisconsin - I hunted hard for 4 days and didn' t see many deer at all. It was a good day when 3 does walked by but unfortunately no shot presented itself. I have this sinking feeling that I guessed at the wrong weekend to take vacation time. I can' t get up there next weekend - I' m hoping there will be some action left over the 15th and 16th. I' ve read other message boards on this same topic and it seems like it' s pretty spotty - some people are seeing some rutting activity but I would say most reports are along the lines of " not yet."
Old 11-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

I think it is finally starting to heat up a little bit. I saw a dandy buck chasing does in a field by Tomah this weekend, and yesterday a friend of mine killed a dandy 10 ptr. My neck is also swelling....
Old 11-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

You should have a doctor look at that.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:24 PM

Well, I had typed a pretty good response to this, but it disappeared when I went to post it.
Anyway, it looks like they' re getting fired up. I hunted Dunn county Saturday night(was only able to get out for an evening hunt), and both Dunn and Chippewa county on Saturday. The T-Zone kept me out of the best woods I hunt in Chippewa county(and the wind was perfect for that area all weekend...dang). One small buck got within 25 yards before I pulled my bow into the stand at about 2:15 Saturday night. Another small buck was pretty actively scent checking trails on a logging road and pawed out a scrape, and another responded to a grunt/bleat combo, but he hung up and I never got a good look at him.
A 1 1/2 year old buck showed up at a waterhole at 12:15 on Sunday, but to my surprise, he was the last deer I saw that entire day. I did get a little arded by some less than silent squirrel hunters, and had gunshots all around me(birdhunters?). That may have had something to do with it, but I was sure I would see more action later in the day.

So, the action last weekend was hot and cold. I didn' t see a lot of activity, but I did see some rut behavior. It was nice to see a buck on his feet in the middle of the day, even though he was young.
The only downside is that I haven' t seen a shooter buck all year, and by this time I' ve usually seen at least a couple decent 2 1/2 year olds. I' ve found the sign from the mature boys, so I know they' re there. I just have to wait for them to get stupid enough to show themselves. I' m planning on this weekend to be a good one. The bucks should be pretty fired up, and on their feet all day long. That' s my prediction, we' ll see how close I am.

Good luck out there guys.

peashooter