Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Advice on how to find a lease in WI >

Advice on how to find a lease in WI

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Advice on how to find a lease in WI

Old 01-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Advice on how to find a lease in WI

I am looking to lease land in western WI (trempeleau county) and would like to know if anyone has any advice on what is the easiest way to go about this.

I live approx. four hours away, so going door to door with a plat map would be kind of hard.

I was thinking of either placing an ad in the local paper or flyers at the grocery stores.

When is the best time to do this? I have a lease now in Buffalo County and was planning to look at land during the Turkey season. I am looking for approx. 300-450 acres

any suggestion or ideas would be appreciated!
[8D]

Cybersniper
Old 01-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Advice on how to find a lease in WI

Maybe take a weekend and drive out there and knock on some doors?? You may get some place without having to lease??
Old 01-09-2004, 08:20 PM

i hear buffalo county one of the best counties in the state for big bucks.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:14 PM

Buffalo County is #1 in the U.S in annual BandC, and PandY bucks harvested, it is a heck of a county!

But I would do both, put an ad in the paper, WI has a lot of hunters and many people are willing to lease their land because they get money out of it, and then drive around out there, checking places out, if a piece of land catches your eye, stop at the owners place and talk to him, explain, that you are a good hunter, if you have to, show him your shooting skills, and tell him if he needs help, you might be able to help them, I have gotten permission to hunt land this way a lot, and heck is he gets money, he thinks that is even better!
Old 01-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Fork Horn

Yup, I lease land now in Alma, which is in Buffalo county. I have never hunted there for more than three or four days without seeing at least one "trophy" wider than the ears. They took 5 shooters on opening weekend and saw over twenty five. I gun hunt in the Waupaca area on public land where it's alll little basket racks.

I love my Buffalo land for bow hunting, but it's not big enough for my gun group, or the right terrain for my family. We have quite a few guys that would have the big one walking up and down all those bluffs. For me sometimes hunting with family outweighs shooting a big buck. I do my serious hunting with the bow. Trempeauleau borders Buffalo and land can be found there at a decent price. Buffalo has such a reputation that now it's pretty expensive to lease there. Not to mention my family group is there more for the "Boy's getting away from home and playing cards" than they are about slaying a monster buck.

The $100.00 fine for anything under 16" wouldn't work to well with them. In fact I was fined $100.00 for this one this year. (15 1/4")I could only see the left side, which seemed pretty thick with long tines, but the right side sucked.

I will probably post some hads in the local papers and knock on some doors.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

I personally live in Tremp. county and it is getting harder and harder to get permission to hunt any land. Leasing is getting to be the only way you can hunt on land now. I have tried numerous different landowners to get permission and so far it is all leased or there is relation hunting on it and they don't want nobody hunting there.
I have had almost all the land that I have hunted on for the last 8 years pulled from me because someone came and leased it out. It is sure getting hard to find a place to hunt anymore. There is land available in Tremp. county if you are willing to pay for it. Where are you looking to hunt? Any certain area?
Old 02-09-2004, 08:09 AM

check out www.basecampleasing.com
they have leases for most states. they show counties where leases available, prices, leasing options of payment, topo's of properties. also, a brief description of property. I have used it twice to lease properties in illinois. it's very imformative. good luck!!!
Old 02-09-2004, 06:44 PM

check classifieds on this site good luck
Old 02-12-2004, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Hey there Buckmaster,

I am willing to hunt pretty much anywhere in the county. I prefer the western or central part if I had my choice. I think Osseo is around the area we were looking. I would like at least 200 acres. If you come across anything let me know and I will shoot you a finders fee if it all works out.

Thanks,

Cybersniper
Old 02-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Yogi, I tried that first, none for Buffalo or Trem. I'm going to post in the papers next week. I think the time is about right.

Cyber