Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
ohio gun week starts soon (11/26/18 ) >

ohio gun week starts soon (11/26/18 )

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

ohio gun week starts soon (11/26/18 )

Old 11-19-2018, 03:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default ohio gun week starts soon (11/26/18 )

well ohio gun week starts next monday & just seen the extended weather forecast monday does'nt look pretty. lo 37 & hi of 44 but 70% chance of rain. & the whole week looks pretty much crappy. alot of rain. & if it's like that i be using the 450 bushmaster or one of my centerfire rifle's may even go with the handcannon. wanted to use my muzzy but yeah it seals real good but all the moisture in the air makes me worry a little.the ohio youth season was just a couple of days ago. weather was NASTY . did'nt hear alot of shots.good luck to all heading out for gun week
Old 11-19-2018, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

I'll be out in Ohio Wednesday Thursday Friday and Sunday .

PA on the other days.

Carrying a Savage 99 in .375 Winchester.

Good luck y'all.

-Jake
Old 11-19-2018, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

jake that's a really nice rifle .hope you have some luck here in oh. i believe you hunt around the grand river wildlife area or is that somebody else? maybe we could hook up sometime to hunt there . i really don't hunt public land much anymore . but if you do remember for gun week 1 buck & 1 doe only on public land .can't take more than 1 anterless deer per season on state land
Old 11-19-2018, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

I do hunt Grand River . Have pretty much lost all of my private land in this area due to leases.

Can't blame the farmers, they gotta make money.

-Jake
Old 11-20-2018, 12:55 AM
Typical Buck

same here jake . starting to loose my private land but only to the passing of the farmer & then when the kids get it in their control bam they sell it to realator's . used to have a dozen farms to hunt on right now it's down to 3 & after this year it may only be 1 farm & it's 50 acres. how many guys can hunt on this & be comfomtable? maybe 3 at the extreme most. one of the farms i hunt on i'm kinda the care taker , i cut trees's& vines in the spring.he's 75 yrs young & still works as for a living. owns his own trucking co. but lease's farm to another farmer.

Last edited by t.shaffer; 11-20-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

It's crazy how quickly it's all changed here.
​​​​​​I used to have farmers pass my number around and their friends would call me, because they knew I'd come out and shoot does. Allot of hunters wanted to hunt all year after big bucks but wouldn't impact the doe population. So they'd let me come out to tag out on doe.

But not anymore. The leases have ended all of that.

-jake
Old 11-20-2018, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

well i just recieved a phone call from a farmer who want's me to come out to hunt deer & yotes use to hunt there but i quit going there due to slob hunters & now he said that he has not renewed there permission. going out today in the afternoon to chat with him & get a permission slip signed .
Old 11-20-2018, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

I've always said if you treat people and their property with respect and help out when you're able, you'll have no trouble finding places to hunt.

That seems to not be holding true for me lately. But still a good rule to live by.

I don't mind hunting public land, I primarily still hunt anyway and it is nice to have a large chunk of land to do that.

Hope this new property works out for you! What county is it in?
-Jake
Old 11-20-2018, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

tom, like jake has said, hunting around here is just as bad as Ohio. too many leases and posted ground. we used to hunt all the ground from the Avonmore bridge to Maysville, but not anymore. everything from Saltsburg to Clarksburg is posted too. it really ticked me off when the girl scouts got the land and used money from the united way to buy it. then posted it tight.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

jake it is in lorain county same county i basically hunt but it is due north west aprox 20 miles from where i hunt now. his property runs parallel to the ohio turn pike
mr slim glad to see you back yeah you talking about the girl scout property across the river ? what schengost did was a sin people cliamed he gave that property to the girl scout onlly to find out that the goverment bought it for them for some outrageous fee. also the crew's property was a good place to hunt but now leases it to a pittsbugh sportsman club.we used to help sam & wayne in the summer with hay & etc . jim can't even hunt it anymore . just sad to see this happen. it's actually becoming a rich man's sport.lefties place is posted & the people who bought my uncle andy believe it was andrea's got it posted or leased. can you still hunt down in drummon's old place behind the football field .? good talking to you guy's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.