Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 cover scent for mi hunters >

cover scent for mi hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

cover scent for mi hunters

Old 10-17-2003, 09:54 AM

Default cover scent for mi hunters

has anyone ever used red fox cover scent in michigan? if so did it work or scare deer or make them weary. i just bought some and was wondering how it worked.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:04 PM

Default cover scents

xtrmhunter9;

Personally I don' t use any kind of cover scents. But I would stay away from any kind of predator type scent' s. If your going to use a cover scent, I would suggest pure skunk. It' s a oder thats familar in the wild to all animals and deer aren' t afraid of it. Your best bet is to hunt with the wind in your face. and forget about the scents. A deers sense of smell will still detect your presents if your hunting wrong no matter what. No cover scent will remove your scent or hide you from a deer. If they detect any kind of danger forget it. Place your blind or tree stand facing the prevaling winds, use clean clothing, rubber sole boots. restrict you movements to a minimum. Be as quite as possible when going to your stand. Scout the area your going to be hunting, before that opening day. Find out the patterns the deer are using. You should know where they bed, feed, and the trails they use to get to and from them.

I hope this has helped you out some. Good luck hunting this year too.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cover scent for mi hunters

Try Deer Dander , you' ll love it .
Old 10-20-2003, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

I' ve been using those H.S. scent wafers. I use the " fresh eath" . I' ve used them for three years now and not had a negative impact that I can tell. I know wind is everything and do a pretty good job hunting the prevailing winds but sometimes they swirl no matter how hard you plan.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:29 PM

Last year, I bowhunted Michigan and used an Oak cover scent. I liked it, but you would have to be in the hardwoods.