Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunters  specialty scent cover wafers >

hunters specialty scent cover wafers

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunters specialty scent cover wafers

Old 09-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default hunters specialty scent cover wafers

well last year when i got done hunting i took all my gear what little i had and dropped it in the plastic container i used to store my clothes in.
I had some old jeans so i tossed them in to keep it from moving around and breaking something. Well one of the thing in the container was a pack of hunters specialty fresh earth cover wafers. I bought them used them for hunting then shut the container up and tossed them in with the rest of my gear.
I figured they would need to be thrown away from sitting for a year.
Well i opened the container up today to get stuff ready. I just about throw up. it smelled bad i thought it was mold.
Nope everything was realy dry and it smelld like the woods more so then the wood do lol.

i opened the wafers and they smell just as much as they did out the package one year ago.
These things realy work.
I plan to buy a new pack to use when hunting but the old one will be dropped in my container when i get my clothes washed.

How long are these thing said to last a year seems like a long time.
heck they clothes smell like they were inside a forest for a month. and the wafer pack was closed.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunters specialty scent cover wafers

I use earth scent wafers also. They last a good 3 years or so as long as you keep refreshing them.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

i still rather smell like NOTHING than man made SOMETHING.

lots of different smells in the air in the woods, but i dont think man could ever replicate them in a bottle or some sort of scent right down to it without it being too strong or just different....
Old 09-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

lots of different smells in the air in the woods, but i dont think man could ever replicate them in a bottle or some sort of scent right down to it without it being too strong or just different....
I agree totally but you are going to smell like something. You are human an thats what they will smell if you smell like nothing. Just a little cover scent for me not to over do it. Just a little,maybe anearth scent wafer or a little deer dander. Thats my practice.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usemore than a few of those every season but I have always wondered if they smell like dirt to the deer as much as they smell like dirt to us. I am quickly moving to scent free sprays and figure it is better to smell like nothing than something that might smell alien to the deer. Who knows, maybe they scare more deer than we know...
Old 09-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06

I agree...I tried the earth scent once and never had been winded so bad in my life!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

not meaning you can smell like absolutely nothing....we know thats not the case.....

but why add foreign scents and smells to the air??? ones that are most likely not smelling like anything 100% natural for that area and time of season etc???

someone said it before..not sure who it was....with scent control practices maybe we smell like human still...but maybe its harder for deer to pinpoint us or maybe we smell alot farther away than we really are because theres alot less scent than normal humans carry......

i dont know...different strokes for different folks...

if you want cover scent, get some fresh wood and split it...cherry is common here and smells strong...handfulls of leaves etc and store your camo with that....seems like that would be better than smelling like a man made cover scent...just my thoughts
Old 09-14-2008, 03:44 PM

IMO, wearing nothing makes you smell like one thing- human.
using cover scents only accomplishes adding scent, now you smell like- human AND earth scent wafers
Old 09-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a lot of cedars around us where we hunt an they do have a strong smell.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

welli use all the scent a way stuff and the scent killer spray just a added cover scent
ORIGINAL: TEmbry

IMO, wearing nothing makes you smell like one thing- human.
using cover scents only accomplishes adding scent, now you smell like- human AND earth scent wafers