Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 New Kansas Game Commission Appointees >

New Kansas Game Commission Appointees

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

New Kansas Game Commission Appointees

Old 07-17-2003, 04:34 PM

Default New Kansas Game Commission Appointees

SEBELIUS APPOINTS WILDLIFE AND PARKS COMMISSIONERS
Governor names three to Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission
TOPEKA - Gov. Kathleen Sebelius announced appointment of Kelly Johnston, Doug Sebelius, and Shari Wilson to the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission this week. Each will serve a four-year term ending June 30, 2007.
Johnston, Wichita, is president and managing partner of the Johnston Law Offices, PA. He is a member of the Kansas Trial Lawyers Association and served since 1999 on the executive committee of the Kansas Trial Lawyers Association. He is currently a member of the NAACP, the Sierra Club, and the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Since 1998, Johnston has continuously served as treasurer of the Sedgwick County Democratic Central Committee. He is the holder of a Kansas lifetime hunting license and a Kansas lifetime fishing license.

Sebelius, Norton, is an attorney with Sebelius and Griffiths, LLP. He has been a county attorney for Norton County for 22 years. In this capacity, he has gained experience assisting conservation officers and park rangers with enforcement programs and management issues. Prior to 1973, he worked as a seasonal ranger and park interpreter for the National Park Service. Sebelius is the director of the Norton County Community Foundation and trustee of the Keith G. Sebelius Foundation.

Wilson, Kansas City, is a special project coordinator for the Kansas Association for Conservation and Environmental Education. She has coordinated the annual Kansas Environmental Education Conference and a four-state environment education leadership clinic. She is currently a member of the Kansas Association for Conservation and Environmental Education and The Nature Conservancy and is chair of the Wyandotte County Lewis and Clark Task Force. She was selected for the Leadership 2000 program and the Kansas Environmental Leadership Program.

The mission of the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission is to conserve and enhance Kansas' wildlife and provide the public with opportunities for use and appreciation of Kansas' natural resources.

Old 07-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Kansas Game Commission Appointees

I already don' t like this Johnston guy. With ties to the Brady Center to prevent gun violence. Huh, wonder what side of the fence he is on when it comes to gun control?
Old 07-17-2003, 05:45 PM

Yeah I was concerned about that, but they still have to be confirmed I think, not sure on that. If you have ever been to a Public Meeting go to one, he won' t be holding that Brady Center accolade so high. An NAACP and Trial Lawyers Association also. These meetings can be BRUTAL and I believe he will change his mind or quit.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:13 PM

They are in, she makes the appointments. The next meeting isnt until Aug. right?
Old 07-20-2003, 09:33 PM

Randy,

The commission appointees have to be confirmed in the Senate, in january. From the response I am getting from the gun clubs and KSRA and others, i think that your organization will again tow the load and take the lead. We just cannot get the others engaged. I will help all I can. I M meeting with the Senate Majority leader Aug. 6, hopefully I will gain some ground.

Dana
Old 07-22-2003, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure what to say about the Johnson guy either. I don' t really know anything about any of them except for this article. It' s hard to be very comfortable with a democratic governor appointing them.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:44 PM

Educate yourself. Do a web search on the CJONLINE.com, kansas.com, or any paper. Search the legislative meeting minutes. You will see there is a great deal of concern with 2 of the 3.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:27 PM

What it is really is a decesion based on the sitting Commisioners conscience, and their assessment of whether these appointees really are a benefit for the State of Kansas. The Commissioners need to assess what the balance is. They have responsibilities and committments not only to the duty of their appointments, but also to the process. I will support their decision whatever they decide to do. The real risk is that Chairman Dykes could possibly lose the Chairmanship. We will need a strong Chairman if this moves forward as is. Chairman Dykes is the leader and must act as such. He has a heavy burden at the moment, and difficult decisions now and in the future. This is not easy, but it is a radical action based on response to a radical action. The commissioners must decide what is in the best intrests for the Outdoor public in the State of Kansas.

I have checked up on Appointee Wilson. All I can find is assistance in the Developement of Environmental Education Standards for K-12, and arrangements for conferences, opening nature trails, etc. There is not any applied scienc, math, or analysis to address environmental issues or wildlife issues. She simply has nothing that would merit appointment to a commission to determine public policy for the State of Kansas. Ditto for Appointee Johnston. All he has in favor is a hunting license. The rest of what he does is lobbying against gun rights and running an organization that is anti-gun. Both of these 2 appointees only ' qualifications" are radical political stances not in step with the People of the State of Kansas. The qualifications of the appointees is what I really have a problem with. I do not think merely having a hunting license is a qualification or litmus test. The real question is do the appointees have a level of qualification needed to determine policy for the State of Kansas in terms of Wildlife and Parks issues. This current class of ' 03 Commission appointees does not have elementary let alone exceptional experience or qualification.

My biggest conceren is not so much this particular set of Appointees. I am concerned about ALL appointments this Governor has made to all areas of Kansas Government. This should scare the hell out of everybody. Are all appointments as bad as this? How many other Commissioners, Appointments, has the Governor used the same bad judgement on? Are criminals and axxe murderers being appointed to the Parole Board for instance?? All her appointments are very difficult to overturn. This will effect policy in the State of Kansas now and in the future of ALL ISSUES AFFECTING ALL ASPECTS OF LIFE in KANSAS. So, strictly in view of her appointing process and the accross the board disregard for the will of the People of the State of Kansas, THIS GOVERNOR SHOULD BE RECALLED.