Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Will county Forest preserve deer hunting possible? >

Will county Forest preserve deer hunting possible?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Will county Forest preserve deer hunting possible?

Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 AM
Spike

Default Will county Forest preserve deer hunting possible?

I never thought I'd like to see the day this would happen, but it looks like it might. I say it's about time! The state must really need to money to be considering this...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5519677.story
Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 AM
Spike

Actually it's a county thing, not state. I was told there might be additional federal funding coming their way if this is implemented though. I'm going to try to attend the April 1st meeting. I participated in the mirror McHenry County program last year.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just got the email of this myself, was gonna post it.

This could be great, Cook Co. needs to open up some of theirs for bowhunting, heck every county needs to.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

good news travels fast and is hard to keep quiet
Old 03-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mgrt67
I never thought I'd like to see the day this would happen, but it looks like it might. I say it's about time! The state must really need to money to be considering this...

No it's not about the money. Where did you get that from? It appears to me that it is about deer numbers that are thru the roof and the WCFPD being concerned about the balance of nature in their preserves.

Do some research.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

They're saying healthy herds are under 20 deer/sq.mi., and some areas have 150 deer/sq.mi.!!!!???? what???

I think most counties in IL are under 10 deer/sq.mi.

Open it up to bow!!!

It's crazy to me that this hasn't already been the case, too many hunters, not enough public land. On top of that, most people who hike etc...aren't walking through the woods in OCT-Jan here in IL. Either way a bow hunter better know a human vs. a deer at 30yds!

Maybe deer leases would drop in cost $$ if all these chicago hunters could stay local and hunt?

Last edited by salukipv1; 03-29-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

if they were so concerned about the deer number they would have done something about this a long time ago. it is ridiculous that they actually pay these so called "sharpshooters" to come in and harvest deer. They say that they have to act in accordance with the ILDNR regulations, but then why are these sharpshooters killing deer at night? Last time i checked that was not legal!! This opporunity is beneficial for everyone. If they would quit hiring these sharpshooters and put a program into place that allowed hunters to legally harvest deer with proper permits in the permitted areas the WCFPD could gain money from this. They would gain back any monetary loss from paying these sharpshooters and again gain money from hunters paying for applications for permits, and the permits. This program should be established throughout the Chicagoland area where deer numbers are an issue. Why hire sharpshooters when there are thousands of hunters willing to pay and remove the deer?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by uncle matt
No it's not about the money. Where did you get that from? It appears to me that it is about deer numbers that are thru the roof and the WCFPD being concerned about the balance of nature in their preserves.

Do some research.
Um, they cant afford to pay for sharpshooters or other methods that cost them MONEY. They have NO MONEY. It's not rocket science genius. They will charge MONEY to let hunters hunt the deer and also solve their deer problem at the same time without spending MONEY. Do you think if they had the MONEY they would allow you and I in there to shoot the deer? Have some common sense, research is nothing without common sense.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read about this today as well. It is about time they started doing this in more than one Forest Preserve district. I don't know how I feel about a shotgun season, HOWEVER, im not too farmiliar with many of the Forest Preserves in this area. I think a bow season is a great idea. If they do offer a draw for a Gun or Bow season and allow out of county hunters in the drawing, I know I'll be in for sure.

I think the County is considering bow hunters to control deer and because it is cost effective. They have done a few recent studies that if a deer population is lowered by strictly sharpshooters, it costs an average of $300 to $500 a deer to taxpayers when it is all said and done. This price includes a variety of costs, not just paying the sharpshooter but a variety of other costs that go into it as well. Now, what I think some counties are learning is that they can charge hunters a decent fee and actually make money on this. Other than some of the negative public outcry it gets, some of these counties/towns are starting to learn that was once a cost can now be a source of income or even at least can be at a breakeven point.

Im all for it, especially if I can get in on it! Lake County please take note!!
Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mgrt67

The state needs money so WCFPD is going to open up deer hunting? That isn't going to make the state any money. And I'll bet that this doesn't make a profit for WCFPD either. It will save them some from spending $ on hired guns - but not make them any $.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.