Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Will county Forest preserve deer hunting possible? >

Will county Forest preserve deer hunting possible?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Will county Forest preserve deer hunting possible?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fastetti
I read about this today as well. It is about time they started doing this in more than one Forest Preserve district. I don't know how I feel about a shotgun season, HOWEVER, im not too farmiliar with many of the Forest Preserves in this area. I think a bow season is a great idea. If they do offer a draw for a Gun or Bow season and allow out of county hunters in the drawing, I know I'll be in for sure.

I think the County is considering bow hunters to control deer and because it is cost effective. They have done a few recent studies that if a deer population is lowered by strictly sharpshooters, it costs an average of $300 to $500 a deer to taxpayers when it is all said and done. This price includes a variety of costs, not just paying the sharpshooter but a variety of other costs that go into it as well. Now, what I think some counties are learning is that they can charge hunters a decent fee and actually make money on this. Other than some of the negative public outcry it gets, some of these counties/towns are starting to learn that was once a cost can now be a source of income or even at least can be at a breakeven point.

Im all for it, especially if I can get in on it! Lake County please take note!!
McHenry county does it too. I think if this goes good in Will then there will be some eyes opened in Lake county.

I will be at Thursdays meeting.

I am awaiting the PETA crowds to speak up and am really wondering why we haven't heard a peep from them yet. Fireworks at the meeting?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

PETA should be all for "organic meat" ie deer from hunting...
Old 03-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Spike

Don K told me Kane County also was strongly considering a program, but I have not seen anything yet.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uncle Matt, I would join you if it wasn't a LONG hike for me and if I didn't have to work. I have to bet there will be a fair share of animal rights activists present, probably more pro-deer people that live in the neighborhood saying how they love the deer and don't want people running around with guns and bows. Same ol' BS, different place I bet. Im hoping that a respectable hunting crowd shows up in some presentable attire. Its always nice at these things if the anti's show up in jeans and the hunters show up in casual business attire. It usually catches these people off guard. Keep us updated on how it goes, I'd like to see if anything comes out on it. Hopefully the hunters come prepared with good arguements and can counter anything these antis say.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fastetti
Uncle Matt, I would join you if it wasn't a LONG hike for me and if I didn't have to work. I have to bet there will be a fair share of animal rights activists present, probably more pro-deer people that live in the neighborhood saying how they love the deer and don't want people running around with guns and bows. Same ol' BS, different place I bet. Im hoping that a respectable hunting crowd shows up in some presentable attire. Its always nice at these things if the anti's show up in jeans and the hunters show up in casual business attire. It usually catches these people off guard. Keep us updated on how it goes, I'd like to see if anything comes out on it. Hopefully the hunters come prepared with good arguements and can counter anything these antis say.
Brian, I believe that the WCFPD has provided a very solid base of reasoning. I see no reason for arguements at all. Something needs to be done. Anyone who wishes to portray themselves as caring about the deer cannot ignore the facts that the deer are way, way, way beyond the carrying capacity which leads to an unhealthy herd and starvation.

They can talk until they are blue in the face about how we are taking their habitat. No matter how much habitat is theoretically provided the deer would always eventually fill it too. So the herds must be managed.

I will go pretty prepared and yes I will dress to impress. No camo.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

And I should mention that this meeting runs from 5-8 and people are welcome to come anytime they want. Come and go. There is no "start" and "finish".
Old 04-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, you are correct, I should have not said "Arguments" more along the lines of "abusive points". I attended one of these about 10 years ago where it seemed like each person would bash the person that went before him/her than had an opposite view.

How did it go? I heard that a few people that are on our side showed up and used some abusive language with one of the biologist and some of the hunters looked pretty ragidy. I'm hoping it went well. From what I have seen from your posts on here, Im sure you were quite beneficial to the hunting community. Thanks for attending and let us know how it went.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't go to Thursday's meeting although I had planned to.

I will be at the one on April 14th in New Lennox.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

I planned on going but got stuck at work and couldnt go. Im planning on attending one of the next meetings. Hopefully other counties take notice as well
Old 04-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

couldn't get to the last meeting either.

Anybody go to the 2nd or third ones?
How did it go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.