Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
WI Whitetail Population >

WI Whitetail Population

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

WI Whitetail Population

Old 12-07-2009, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default WI Whitetail Population

The DNR is really getting it in the press these days with the lowest total kill count in 27 years!.

I just finally found the number I've been wanting to know: the desired herd size according to the DNR: 730,000 or 733,000. If my memory serves me, they recently estimated the herd size at 1.2 million so they're looking for about a 40% herd size reduction.

As I was searching the DNR site, I also stumbled upon this chart that shows how the DNR views the population by hunting unit. Though the categories are very broad, it gives you a more specific idea how the DNR views your hunting unit than just "herd control" or "regular."
Old 12-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

DNR= Don't Know Right
Old 12-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I was reading tonight about harvest numbers in the Northern end, some counties were down as much as 40 - 49% in buck harvest. Add that to last years and thats a heck of a drop in the buck deer harvest.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

The state of Wi. is under such pressure from the insurance co. because of car-deer acciedents, that the DNR is only concerned about cutting the deer herd. The big ( chronic wasting scare ) didn't work to achieve what they wanted. What can we do as hunters, attend the Conservation Congress Hearings in your area and make your voice heard.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:18 PM
JW
Super Moderator

So what exactly is the Goal?

and don;t understand -20 tp +20 of goal......wow that is far to broad...

JW
Old 12-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

JW,

The goals are listed in the links I have at the beginning: 733,000 deer total, statewide. That number is reached by aiming for a herd that is 60-65% of the land's carrying capacity in the forested areas. They aim for a significantly lower (but unspecified) percentage of the land's carrying capacity in agricultural and urbanized areas because those areas can carry more deer and the interaction between deer and people becomes too aggravating to the people if the percentage is that high.

The chart of hunting areas doesn't tell us squat about how many deer are in each area. It only tells us how many relative to the number the DNR would like there to be (according to DNR herd estimates).

You can, however, guess some things. It does imply some things though: for example, if you are convinced that the herd size in your unit is lower than you desire, and the chart shows you above goal or way above goal--that's bad news.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by sqezer
The state of Wi. is under such pressure from the insurance co. because of car-deer acciedents, that the DNR is only concerned about cutting the deer herd. The big ( chronic wasting scare ) didn't work to achieve what they wanted. What can we do as hunters, attend the Conservation Congress Hearings in your area and make your voice heard.
Can I get an AMEN my brother???? However the whole CWD craze is pretty much what started the ball rolling. I have seen a few bigger bucks over the past years because of the DNR's management practices but how long can you sustain a deer heard when you wipe out the ones that cause it to grow (does). Not to mention all the buck fawns that get taken to Earn-A-Buck. Add all that up over the last ten years, no wonder the press is having a field day with this and about Time I might add...
Old 12-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 12-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Sswpriz, that's too funny, where did you find that?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

That is a great cartoon!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.