Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Thinking of going back to Pike County IL in December >

Thinking of going back to Pike County IL in December

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Thinking of going back to Pike County IL in December

Old 11-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Spike

Default Thinking of going back to Pike County IL in December

I made a trip up there during the first two weeks of November and didn't tag out. I was thinking of driving back up there for another week on the 13th (right after muzzleloader season). I've never hunted up there that late in the season. Do yall think I will be waisting my time driving 900 miles one way or is hunting still decent?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

wasting your time? No way dude, you never know when a shooter may come out in that area !!!!! Hunt the food sources, cut corn fields would be the ticket
Old 11-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

It certainly won't be easy hunting, especially after our deer have been subjected to all the seasons hunting pressure... BUT there is always a chance of shooting a monster when you're hunting in one of the very best trophy producing areas in the USA! Good luck and good hunting
Old 11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

im from pike co. il. (pittsfield) . did you hunt private or outfitted ground ? outfitted ground isnt very good late season becouse the outfitter no matter how many acre they have has burnt out the ground by then . i know on my farm late season is one of my favorite times to hunt . and if it gets cold and some snow on the ground watch out your in for a very good hunt . you get on a good food source you wont find a better area in the country . i shoot a good buck every year late season . it just all depends on the pressure the ground has on it the amount of mature deer your guna c . plus there is still standing corn across the whole county that the farmers cant get out due to rian so there are deer that havnt even seen a hunter all year . that are guna be un pressured when they finally do get the crops out . if you need any info about whats goin on around here shoot me an emial and i can get u my phone number

Last edited by ryanhill; 11-30-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's the way I always look at late season hunting. Don't think about what you want to do now, but think about what you'll be doing in February when there is no hunting to do. I always know I'll regret not going out at every opportunity that I have so I always try to get out in the woods. Its hunting.....You never know what could happen, especially in Illinois!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ryanhill
im from pike co. il. (pittsfield) . did you hunt private or outfitted ground ? outfitted ground isnt very good late season becouse the outfitter no matter how many acre they have has burnt out the ground by then . i know on my farm late season is one of my favorite times to hunt . and if it gets cold and some snow on the ground watch out your in for a very good hunt . you get on a good food source you wont find a better area in the country . i shoot a good buck every year late season . it just all depends on the pressure the ground has on it the amount of mature deer your guna c . plus there is still standing corn across the whole county that the farmers cant get out due to rian so there are deer that havnt even seen a hunter all year . that are guna be un pressured when they finally do get the crops out . if you need any info about whats goin on around here shoot me an emial and i can get u my phone number
We go into Pittsfield quite often to get groceries and eat at the Red Dome. We'll be hunting on private land around the Pleasant Hill area. One area has shelled corn and a few acres of alfalfa and clover....The other area was planted in wheat the first week in November. I've pretty much made up my mind to go back. My wife will be coming with me to try and get a doe. She hasn't killed a whitetail with her bow yet so I'm really hoping she gets an opportunity.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

sounds like your in for a late season treat . my family is all from pleasant hill . you should look me up when u come up (or east i guess in your case ) . if i dont here from ya good luck and i hope wife sticks one . im tryin to get my wife to start but its a slow process she just runs a little camera for me now when my camera man isnt around
Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Spike

I get off this ship on the 9th...I'll be giving you a call then. May be able to meet up and swap stories.