Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 IL Deer Task Force Final Recommendations. >

IL Deer Task Force Final Recommendations.

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

IL Deer Task Force Final Recommendations.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: IL Deer Task Force Final Recommendations.

I think that the issue of access to private ground is something listed as meriting further discussion. That is something that depends much on the landowners though. Hard to be too sympathetic about crop damage when the person suffering it doesnt allow folks on his land to shoot the deer.
Of course, on a related note, it might help if the state would also work toexpand public access hunting areas.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:14 AM

It does depend on the landowners. But, I have some ideas on that, and I'm curious to hear other thoughts out there...

Let's take CRP for instance. The $$$$ that go to landowners for CRP payments come from taxpayers.

I've seen a lot of CRP that's not fit for crops (flood plain etc etc), but they are collecting the money. That should be changed. If you are collecting money for CRP on land that is not fit for farming, then hunters should be allowed to use it. Very simple.

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I think that the issue of access to private ground is something listed as meriting further discussion. That is something that depends much on the landowners though. Hard to be too sympathetic about crop damage when the person suffering it doesnt allow folks on his land to shoot the deer.
Of course, on a related note, it might help if the state would also work toexpand public access hunting areas.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

You can sit here and dream up all kinds of great programs for the better of the deer herd. The problem is you have to get the POLITICS out of the DNR. The deer herd needs to be run by the DNR and their Boilogists. Right now we have the most corrupt political system in the US and Blago just gave a buddy of his the head of the DNR position. We need the right people in the DNR.

Until that happens you can dream, wish and sit here all day and debate...............
Old 01-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Don, who is this appointment? I've heard about this twice now, but can't find any news story on it? Can you paste a link? Tks!

ORIGINAL: Don K

You can sit here and dream up all kinds of great programs for the better of the deer herd. The problem is you have to get the POLITICS out of the DNR. The deer herd needs to be run by the DNR and their Boilogists. Right now we have the most corrupt political system in the US and Blago just gave a buddy of his the head of the DNR position. We need the right people in the DNR.

Until that happens you can dream, wish and sit here all day and debate...............
Old 01-25-2009, 04:12 PM

I found it. What a joke:

http://www.sj-r.com/blagojevich/x1369594468/New-DNR-director-likely-to-see-40K-a-year-pension-boost

ORIGINAL: mustang17936

Don, who is this appointment? I've heard about this twice now, but can't find any news story on it? Can you paste a link? Tks!

ORIGINAL: Don K

Old 01-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Well the good thing is if Blago looses his job and Quinn takes over the first thing hes going to do is change this...

By Pete Nickeas, Springfield Bureau, [email protected]
More photos from this shoot Photo: Robert Leistra Lt. Governor Pat Quinn SPRINGFIELD -- Lt. Gov. Patrick Quinn’s isn’t governor yet but he is already taking on some of the responsibilities of the office.
With Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s impeachment trial beginning Monday, no one knows for sure who will be governor in coming weeks-- Quinn or Blagojevich.
But already Quinn is the go-to guy for some gubernatorial matters. For example, Quinn’s office has been working with the federal government to undo a legislative blunder that could cost the state $24 million.
Federal officials appear to be dealing with Quinn with the presumption that he will soon be governor.
Marc Miller, a senior policy advisor for the lieutenant governor, has been in contact with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to keep Illinois’ Department of Natural Resources eligible for federal money, according to Jason Holm, a spokesman for the federal agency.
"Miller asked good questions. He asked about time frames, what needs to be done, what to do to avoid the diversion of money, actions the state needs to take, and whether the decision or deadline can be delayed," Holm said.
A spokesman for the governor’s office pointed out that the DNR is under Blagojevich’s control – not Quinn’s-- and interaction with the Fish and Wildlife Service regarding the federal money in question is supposed to be handled by the Blagojevich administration.
"It has not been assigned to the lieutenant governor’s office. If they’re calling as an interested party that’s one thing but officially, the governor oversees the DNR," said Lucio Guerrero, the governor’s spokesman.
Guerrero said that Fish and Wildlife may be assuming Quinn will be the next governor and for that reason is working with Quinn’s office.
"We’re willing to talk to any state officials that contact us about any of the issues that relate to the programs we operate under," said John Christian, an assistant regional director at the Fish and Wildlife Service.
The Fish and Wildlife Service sent a letter to Blagojevich’s office on Dec.19 and gave Illinois until Feb. 2 to transfer more than $9 million back into dedicated wildlife funds. Last year the legislature "swept" the restricted money out of state funds and later used it to pay for shortfalls elsewhere in the budget.
If the money isn’t paid back, with interest, Illinois could lose eligibility for future federal money. That leaves up to $24 million of federal wildlife money in limbo.
Miller said he first contacted the Fish and Wildlife Service last October and has been working with them since on various issues.
After meeting with the acting director and assistant director of the Fish and Wildlife Service while in Washington, D.C. for inauguration festivities, Miller sent a letter Thursday formally requesting a 90-day deadline extension.
"The Fish and Wildlife Service will take a position on the extension request and they’re not sure they’re going to grant it. It’s in their court," Miller said.
Lawmakers approved a bill last week that would keep the state eligible for the federal money, but the governor hasn’t indicated whether he would sign the legislation by the deadline.
The Senate has 30 days -- until Feb. 12 -- to physically transfer the bill to the governor’s office. Blagojevich may not be governor then. The last scheduled day for the impeachment trial is Feb. 5.
A deadline extension from Fish and Wildlife could allow Senate President John Cullerton -- who ultimately decides when to transfer the legislative paperwork to the governor’s office -- to wait until after the trial.
Quinn spokeswoman Libby White said it would be presumptuous to say whether Quinn would sign the bill if he becomes governor.
Mike Lawrence, former director of the Paul Simon Institute for Public Policy at Southern Illinois University, said he isn’t surprised by Quinn’s actions.
"There is an imminent deadline here and it appears as if he’s hoping the federal government will recognize that he soon will be governor of the state. I think this is a sign that he’s preparing to become governor and that he hopes the outside world will delay decisions and actions until he becomes chief executive," said Lawrence, who was also a senior advisor to Gov. Jim Edgar.
Miller said the state’s unique situation dictated Quinn’s course of action.
"There’s a strong interest in natural resources and conservation in our office and we do a lot of work. We are concerned about these funds affecting work we do with rivers and water quality," Miller said.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Only thing is Blago did this knowing hisbuddy wouldnt stay in there very long. And he still gets his 40 grand increase on his pension..........

Illinois Politics at its finest.............[:@]
Old 01-26-2009, 10:22 AM

We've been ripped to shreds by Blago..
Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

When you talk about folks whose land is in CRP being required to allow public access to it for hunting, you have some folks get hot around the collar. I'm not sure what the rules are in terms of if someone is permitted to lease land for hunting that is also in CRP.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:49 AM

Well, they can get hot around the collar, but it is our money that's paying the CRP. I'm not talking about leasing (paying a fee). We shouldn't have to pay. We already do with our taxes. Especially the land that's not fit for planting, we should be allowed to hunt it. Who besides me has thought about this? Lanse, what do you think? Am I on to something here?

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

When you talk about folks whose land is in CRP being required to allow public access to it for hunting, you have some folks get hot around the collar. I'm not sure what the rules are in terms of if someone is permitted to lease land for hunting that is also in CRP.

Quick Reply: IL Deer Task Force Final Recommendations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.