Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 IL Deer Task Force Final Recommendations. >

IL Deer Task Force Final Recommendations.

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

IL Deer Task Force Final Recommendations.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Default IL Deer Task Force Final Recommendations.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 7, 2009

Joint Deer Population Task Force Makes Final Recommendations

Committee focused on ways to manage deer populations

SPRINGFIELD – The Joint Task Force on Deer Population Control (JTF) has made final recommendations on ways to manage the Illinois deer population, provide additional deer hunting opportunities, and reduce deer/vehicle accidents throughout the state. The recommendations include extending portions of some deer seasons, expanding educational outreach efforts, and making certain seasonal permits available to the public more readily and for longer periods of time.

“I want to thank the members of this task force and the public for their dedication to this important issue,” said Illinois Department of Natural Resources Acting Director Sam Flood. “Managing the state’s deer population is an ongoing responsibility, and I commend this group for its well thought out, data driven recommendations to better manage the state’s deer herd.”

The JTF recommends that the rate of deer/vehicle accidents be used as the objective to guide deer management and to judge the success or failure of the state’s deer management programs. The specific target rate (both statewide and at the county level) was set at halfway between the minimum and maximum rates measured during the period 1994 through 2007. The statewide target rate corresponds to a 14 percent decrease in the accident rate from the statewide peak observed during 2003.

The Joint Task Force on Deer Population Control was created by House Joint Resolution 65 of the 95th General Assembly, with the mission “to examine and make recommendations on ways to manage the Illinois deer population.” The Joint Task Force consisted of 15 members including members of the General Assembly (or their appointee), state agencies including the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and constituent groups. The JTF met four times between April and October 2008, and conducted a series of six public meetings around the state to seek public comment about changes that were being considered.

The JTF recommends the following changes in Illinois deer management:

That deer permits for the antlerless-only Late-Winter Season be made available to hunters over-the-counter (OTC) at license vendors throughout the state, rather than through the current application and lottery system;

That counties included in the Late-Winter Deer Season be categorized into two groups for permitting purposes, based upon their deer population status: (a) counties that are slightly above goal levels, in which only one permit could be purchased; and (b) counties that are significantly above goal levels, in which an unlimited number of permits could be purchased.

That the length of the Late-Winter Deer Season be extended from three to nine days.

That permits for the regular Firearm Deer Season which remain unallocated after two lottery drawings be sold OTC on a first-come, first served basis until the end of that season.

That the length of the first segment of the regular Firearm Deer Season be extended from three to four days, beginning on a Friday and ending on a Monday.

Expansion of educational outreach programs relating to deer, including creation of a new web site (“Living with Illinois Deer”); increased support for the Sportsman Against Hunter program (venison donations); support for some type of Hunter Access Program to improve hunter access to private lands; working with the Illinois Department of Transportation to enhance traffic safety programs related to deer-vehicle accidents; and working with the Illinois Secretary of State’s Office to develop materials related to deer for the Drivers’ Safety program.

Formation of a task force to review programs designed to reduce crop damage by deer.

The recommendations are currently being reviewed by IDNR wildlife staff to determine feasibility and timetables for implementation. None of the changes recommended by the JTF require new legislation; all could be accomplished via administrative rule.

The complete report of the Joint Task Force on Deer Population Control is available online at through the IDNR web site at http://dnr.state.il.us.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: IL Deer Task Force Final Recommendations.

Looks good to me.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is Alt out there? When threy start jabbering about deer/car it means the insurance industry said wipe em' out. Good Luck, you have a great deer hunting tradition there, now the Pols are going to screw it up!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Unfortunately, for many people actually living there,a "great deer hunting tradition"translates into rising number of deer/auto crashes, crop damage, damage to gardens, etc.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still no check stations.[>:]I can't see the Monday before Thanksgiving being a big hunting day. 9 day doe only season? Yikes......thats a long time.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

Still no check stations.[>:]I can't see the Monday before Thanksgiving being a big hunting day. 9 day doe only season? Yikes......thats a long time.
Let the poachers keep poaching. How many anterled bucks do you think will be called as doesduring the upcoming anterless only season?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

9 day antlerless only season? I hate that idea, it just leads to more poaching and shooting of bucks that have dropped their antlers. 9 days is just too many. I also don't like the unlimited number of doe tags. That means some farmers will go out there with 20 doe tags and kill every deer they see. Ive heard of problems in WI with the unlimited number of doe tags really making a negative impact on the numbers. Maybe one tag a day for the 3 day season, but 9 days with unlimited tags is not a good idea.

I agree, bring back the check stations. I visit one in Michigan every year and love being able to check in my deer. The technology they have to help with the population is incredible now. I gaurentee that MI is in worse shape financially than IL. Someone in Springfield just needs to get there head out of the behind. I just don't understand why they get one person to run each check station and have biology students at the local colleges work them for extra credit. There are enough colleges in this state that this would easily work.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not really sure how it will lead to more poaching. If I want to poach a deer I will wait until all the seasons are closed anyway since the game wardens pretty much disappear. And if the bucks have dropped their antlers then there is really no reason to want to purposely shoot them. If some get shot accidentally, then fine with me. The general idea is to lower the population. There is never gonna be a plan that will please everyone, but this is one hell of a good try at it.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Spike

Well, you are right...It doesn't please me at all. BRING BACK THE CHECK STATIONS!!

I think 3 days for 1st gun is plenty, leave it alone.

I also think 3 days for does only is plenty. As far as I am concerned, that does only season should be muzzleloader or bow only, using up your unfilled, already purchased tags from previous seasons.

Illinois is broke like most areas of the US right now and looking to drum up some more funds in license sales. I am an Illinois native that now reside in Michigan, but spend my hunting time in Illinois. If Illinois keeps things going in the direction theyhave beenheading, we all may be looking for a "new" state to hunt good bucks in!

More hunters every year, higher tag prices, higher lease prices,less trophy bucks... sound like an accurate assessment? Very sad to see these recommendations....hunters should have a voice here not the "task force"...hunters are the people thatpay the fiddler, let them call a tune!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I'm not really sure how it will lead to more poaching. If I want to poach a deer I will wait until all the seasons are closed anyway since the game wardens pretty much disappear. And if the bucks have dropped their antlers then there is really no reason to want to purposely shoot them. If some get shot accidentally, then fine with me. The general idea is to lower the population. There is never gonna be a plan that will please everyone, but this is one hell of a good try at it.
Lanse,

It seems your are about population control and not about managing a herd. IL. has become a trophy buck state due to short gun seasons and herd management clear up until these last few years. Most of us want to keep it that way. When we are talking about poaching we are meaning with the new call in system there are several bucks that are being called in as does. Also, the question comes up as to how many deer are being killed with the same tag?? Say you kill a deer and you tag it and call it in and you butcher it yourself. How many of these guys are just taking the tag off of that deer and killing another one the next day and using the same tag? To the passerby it looks legit. The tag is on the deer with the confirmation number. I really don't mind what they have done here with their suggestions, but until we get the check stations back we will never get an accurate harvest number. Without an accurate harvest number we will never be able to manage our herd.

Quick Reply: IL Deer Task Force Final Recommendations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.