Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Missouri Youth season report? >

Missouri Youth season report?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Missouri Youth season report?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default Missouri Youth season report?

Hey guys!

We just completed the early youth season here in Missouri. I wish I had some pics of my girls with nice deer, but we had a pretty slow weekend. My dad came down and took my oldest daughter, who happens to be a "veteran" with 2 seasons under her belt, and I sat with my youngest daughter both days on her inaugral season. To sum it up, though there was a ton of good buck sign, and lots of acorns on the ground we saw a grand total of 2 deer all weekend. I was just wondering how it went for others.....let's see some pictures!

GH
Old 11-03-2008, 10:43 AM

Default RE: Missouri Youth season report?

Talk about tough conditions - the calendar might read "November", but with highs in the mid-70's, it doesn't feel like it. Regardless,I had agood weekend.

A young girl (hunting a different lease on the same farm that I hunt) killed a nice 10, I believe. Sorry, no pictures and I haven't even seen it! ButI did hear the shots.

I was bowhunting and saw zero movement until about 20-30 minutes before the end of shooting light. Had one pretty nice buck trailing a doe, but he was never in range.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:38 PM

Tough weekend. I convinced my 13 year old son to pass on a young 8 pointer Sat morning and it went downhill from there. He is still upset with me!! I am amazed at how hot it has been.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took a Young Boy on his first Youth Deer Hunt and we saw no Deer moving early that first morning as we over-looked a big 1 1/4 acre food plot,we took a long walk down a logging road to the deeper woods and jumped up 1 Deer on the way down to where I have seen many moving last year during deer season.We sat for over 3 hours and saw nothing so we headed back up the logging road and jumped up 2 more deer in the woods and 1 more at the top of the road that was headed to a small food plot we planted on the top of the road and ridge top.He wasn't able to get a shot so we headed back for anlate lunch and sat out the evening in the food plot with no luck the rest of the day.The next day (sunday) his Sister's Boyfriend took him out to hunt in his ladder stand at a different Farm and he was able to shoot a nice big matureDoe around 11:30 that morning.

Later sunday evening I took my Daughter to hunt in the bottom field over-looking a Scrape line that a nice 8-point Buck has been working in the late evenings and at night time in the hopes he would show up early that evening but it didn't happen so I will probably takeher hunting during the regular Rifle Deer Season or the late Youth Deer Season on Jan 3rd and 4th of 2009.Like everyone stated it had warmed up again here in MO. and the Deer were just not moving like they had been the past few weeks when it got colder.Hopefully we will have a better hunt during our Rifle season and colder weather to help with keeping the Deer moving and chasing after Doe's?