Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Missouri hunting >

Missouri hunting

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Missouri hunting

Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 AM

Default Missouri hunting

I'm going to St Louis on business soon and will be taking a few extra days to do some hunting. I'll probably just get a small game license since I won't have that much time. I have planned to go to the Potosi district of the Mark Twain National Forest but I was looking for suggestions from people who live there and have hunted in that area. Or perhaps someone has a suggestion for another place to hunt. Also, what will the weather be like during November? I want to get the most out of the trip since I only have a short period of time.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:54 PM

Default RE: Missouri hunting

What are you planning to hunt?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:18 PM

Birds and squirrels.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:38 PM

Ever been snipe hunting? Gun not required, just a paper bag.Most of november is gun deer season where everyone has high powered rifles. I would not be out in the woods hunting "birds and squirrels" in november![] Some years warm, some years cold.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah...I'd agree with Timber creek. November 15th is the opener and it be honest, you might want to check the regulations about small game hunting during the rifle portion of the deer season.....good luck!

GH
Old 09-22-2008, 04:44 PM

It is legal to hunt small game during the rifle season. You have to use a shotgun with shot #4 or smaller. Personally I wouldn't be out there for safety reasons alone. But, if you insist, you MUST wear hunter orange just like you are deer hunting. If you can find a conservation area that is closed to rifle hunting it would be a wise choice. There are also plenty of other areas close to the St.Louis region that are better tan MTNF.

As far as weather goes...
Good luck on figuring it out. I can't. The last few years have been pretty crazy. Expect cold to fridgid and maybe a few days in the high 70's. Also bring rain gear because MO is known for wet fall seasons.

Hope I helped.

Rich
Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 PM

Thank you for all the replys. I have done my homework on this trip. I have read the Missouri hunting regulations, researched the different license types and bought forestry maps. I have also researched what is actually legal to shoot/hunt. Igoing to get a non-resident small game license. I'll probably go mostly for crows since they will be in season during that time.

Also, how crowded does the MTNF get during rifle season? Here in California, the national forests don't get tooover crowded with hunters during hunting season but then again I pick the most remote places to hunt. If you guys have any specific areas that would be good, by all means please tell me. I'm a very expereinced hunter and have all the proper gear. I'll be preparing for the worst but I know for sure I want to at least go out to the woods and try. Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Squirrel Season should be in then and right now too,they are good eating.If you want to go the extra mile get a Deer license and hunt for some Big Game!If you hunt before the Nov. Firearm Deer Season (Nov 15-25)it may not be too crowded,but the closer to Deer Season the more people will be scouting and possibly setting up stands so be careful...Oh yeah,Bow Season is on right now and goes until Rifle Season...stops for the 11 days and starts back up (Nov 26) and goes until Jan 15 2009.Potosi is only about 45 miles from where I live...pretty Country up that way,be sure to dress warm in Nov.,you can always take clothes off if it gets too hot!We've had a good wet Spring and Summer sowe may get more rain this Fall and colder weather?