Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 ALL Illinois Deer Hunters PLEASE...... >

ALL Illinois Deer Hunters PLEASE......

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

ALL Illinois Deer Hunters PLEASE......

Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ALL Illinois Deer Hunters PLEASE......

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

If I purchare a license I have a say. I am aconsumer. If I have the most sayl, I win! In addition to bow hunters in general having what is quite obviously an elitsit attitude. What do you do when the small game hunters come threw? And ethical compliance, when is a deer drive unethical?? Another bowyerism!
I pay IL taxes and buy license, so I have a bigger say. And I say creating a Doe only gun season to go along WITH the other 2 gun seasons sucks. And I highly doubt you will come to IL to shoot a Doe only. I am not a bowhunter only, I gun hunt, and I never said deer drives are unethical, you should proof read my postbefore labeling me.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having a gun season in October doesn't make any sense to me. I like to bowhunt more than I like togun hunt. And the time for this propsed gun season is in prime time bow season....
Old 09-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BUCKMARK

Having a gun season in October doesn't make any sense to me. I like to bowhunt more than I like togun hunt. And the time for this propsed gun season is in prime time bow season....
Your right BUCKMARK....And do you know what their reasoning behind this purposed 3rd week of Oct. Doe gun season is? Well they say it's the best time for 2 reasons.. 1.) Being that it's not to warm and not to cold "usually". and 2.) This is a bowhunters down time..not many bowhunters in the woods this time of yearHere is part of the article where this is all coming from...

3. An October antlerless-only gun hunt, which could happen but would be very controversial among bowhunters and outfitters. The third weekend of October has been mentioned as a possible date.
Bowhunters don’t like the timing of a late October hunt because it comes just before the peak of their hunt, the whitetail breeding season. If there is to be another gun season, archers on the task force would prefer a late September hunt.
Shelton said hunter participation would be higher during October than during September and weather conditions would be more suitable for the later hunt.
“It’s not real hot weather. You’re not into the rut yet and you’re in a period of time where archery activity is down some,” Shelton said. “It’s also immediately before the peak of deer-vehicle collisions.”
Shelton said Minnesota and Wisconsin have recently added October antlerless-only seasons and Missouri is considering something similar.

So I am guessing this Paul Shelton doesn't bow hunt?????

Here is theshort list of possible changes..

While no decisions have yet been made, discussion has touched on some interesting topics. Here are five:

[ul][*]1. Sell late-winter firearm tags over the counter.[*]2. Extend the existing three-day late-winter firearm, antlerless-only season. Seven days was mentioned as one possibility.[*]3. Create an antlerless-only firearm deer season in late October.[*]4. Create an earn-a-buck program in which hunters must shoot a doe before taking a buck.[*]5. Provide more public access for deer hunters. [/ul]

#5 isn't going to sit well with land owners....what it doesn't tell you in this article, is that #5 means allowing more access to PRIVATE ground.

Our Gov. has brain washed the DNR.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Public Access to Private land won't be a problem to landowners?

You won't be required to let anyone just hunt your land, I'm sure there would be incentives for landowners to open up their private ground.

IL isn't just going to take over your private land and let anyone hunt on it, if you don't agree to.

If they won't be happy because more land will be available and therefore less hunters to lease their land? well thats not my problem, and I think there will always be guys willing to lease private ground, no matter how much land IL opens up....

All these different gun season propositions etc....all that BS could be solved by just throwing them all into a month long december season. If they want to sell antlerless tags OTC, fine, but having it part of a December season would simplify alot of things and be a better situation in my eyes.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Fork Horn

They are having meetings that started tonite and continue tomorrow nite in Rockford. Here's the info.......

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACTS: Chris McCloud
August 27, 2008 (217) 558-1540

Deer Population Task Force Schedules Public Meetings[/b]
Panel reviewing options for improvements in deer management, reduction in deer vehicle accidents[/b]

SPRINGFIELD, ILL. – The Illinois Department of Natural Resources and the state’s Joint Deer Population Control Task Force will conduct a series of public meetings to discuss and seek public comment on proposals for changes and improvements in deer management in the state.

The task force was established by the Illinois General Assembly to examine and make recommendations on ways to manage the Illinois deer population, including maintaining and increasing deer hunting opportunities, reducing deer-vehicle accidents and examining how those accidents affect insurance rates, reducing crop and other property damage, and maintaining and increasing the health of the Illinois deer herd.

“The open house public meetings will allow those attending to review information on the Illinois deer management program, deer-vehicle accidents, and proposals the task force is reviewing for changes in hunting seasons and related issues regarding deer in Illinois,” said IDNR Acting Director Sam Flood.

Staff from the IDNR Division of Wildlife Resources and members of the Joint Deer Population Control Task Force will be available to answer questions, discuss deer management, and hear comments from those attending the meetings. Following the public meetings, the IDNR will also accept public comments through a link on the IDNR web site at http://dnr.state.il.us

Members of the public are invited to attend any or all of the series of meetings listed below. Each session will be open from 4 p.m. – 7 p.m.

Sept. 2 – Peru Eagles Lodge, 830 Harrison St. (just off U.S. Rt. 6), Peru
Sept. 3 – Rockford Public Library, 215 N. Wyman, Rockford (use Mulberry St. entrance)

-more-
2001**08

Page 2

Sept. 4 – Scripps Park Community Building, U.S. Rts 67 & 24, Rushville
Sept. 9 – Olney City Park Community Building, Ill. Rt. 130, Olney
Sept. 10 – World Shooting and Recreational Complex, Sparta
Sept. 11 – Bethany Fire Station, 530 E. Main, Bethany

For more information on the open house public meetings of the Joint Deer Population Control Task Force, contact the IDNR Division of Wildlife Resources at 217/785-2511.

[/align]
Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Fork Horn

I really think thata lot of this whole discussion is centered around the CWD counties. Thestateisn't wanting to have to pay their employees toexterminate the deerduring Jan, Feb and March anymore due to budget and staff cuts. Since I live in the middle of the mess, thats what I think.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jbutler

I really think thata lot of this whole discussion is centered around the CWD counties. Thestateisn't wanting to have to pay their employees toexterminate the deerduring Jan, Feb and March anymore due to budget and staff cuts. Since I live in the middle of the mess, thats what I think.
It's more centered around the counties where Deer to Vehicle accidents are more frequent, the Insurance companies are all over the IDNR to do something about it. That is where this is coming from. We only had a very small amount of CWD reported and it was mostly in the upper 1/3 of IL. This is geared more towards West Central, Southeastern, and Southern IL. Where most outfitting takes place, where they don't require their clients to harvest a Doe before taking a buck. Either way it's a joke, and if it passes, it will be state wide.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Uh, guys, the last time I checked, you can bowhuntfor three months.
With all due respect, if you don't live here, and have NO clue as to what our DNR is purposing, I'd leave these type of comments to yourself.Let me put it to you like this, would you be happy if Ohio allowed gun hunters into your bow hunting woods at the start of Pre Rut? I gun hunt, but I gun hunt like I bow hunt, I sit in a tree stand. BUT alot of gun hunters do deer drives and other crap that borders ethical compliance, I don't want that stuff in the woods in Oct. and 99% of bowhunters feel the same. And this link is the only platform we have to voice our concerns. So all this talkfrom outsiders about lowering NR fees and blah blah...if you want to hunt here, pay up or stay out.
solocamcan,

Lanse is from our state and owns a couple chunks of ground in our great state! I just don't think he has much sympathy for us bowhunters.

An October gun season will absolutely kill us bow hunters. I'm all for a late season antlerless only season. Shoot, give them 3 weeks or whatever they think they need. I'll even give up my last two weeks of bow season and end it on Dec. 31st.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Car/deer accidents....

More drivers on the road, more deer collisions there will be, one doesn't mean the other.

It's similar to when you put more cops on the streets, crime goes up? because more crime is caught/reported etc...

There was always the same amount of crime, just more reported.

But I'm not sure what time period they're talking about, past 5 years? past 10? past 100years? certainly there are more deer collisions today then even 30 years ago, when there were far less people around.

My dad spoke to a woman who had hit 5 deer! Everyone close around me has never hit a deer. Then again being a hunter, I think I look for deer, notice them more than most drivers, ie non hunters, as well, I know when/where to look for them.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Kid

ORIGINAL: ranger6

lower their non-resident fee and we will come! (bowhunting that is !)

That is the last thing we need unless you're going to take some Does! Hunt the Monster Bucks you have at home!

Solocamcan, Survey done!
Amen to that

Quick Reply: ALL Illinois Deer Hunters PLEASE......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.