HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ALL Illinois Deer Hunters PLEASE......
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 03:30 PM
solocamcan
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ALL Illinois Deer Hunters PLEASE......

ORIGINAL: BUCKMARK

Having a gun season in October doesn't make any sense to me. I like to bowhunt more than I like togun hunt. And the time for this propsed gun season is in prime time bow season....
Your right BUCKMARK....And do you know what their reasoning behind this purposed 3rd week of Oct. Doe gun season is? Well they say it's the best time for 2 reasons.. 1.) Being that it's not to warm and not to cold "usually". and 2.) This is a bowhunters down time..not many bowhunters in the woods this time of yearHere is part of the article where this is all coming from...

3. An October antlerless-only gun hunt, which could happen but would be very controversial among bowhunters and outfitters. The third weekend of October has been mentioned as a possible date.
Bowhunters don’t like the timing of a late October hunt because it comes just before the peak of their hunt, the whitetail breeding season. If there is to be another gun season, archers on the task force would prefer a late September hunt.
Shelton said hunter participation would be higher during October than during September and weather conditions would be more suitable for the later hunt.
“It’s not real hot weather. You’re not into the rut yet and you’re in a period of time where archery activity is down some,” Shelton said. “It’s also immediately before the peak of deer-vehicle collisions.”
Shelton said Minnesota and Wisconsin have recently added October antlerless-only seasons and Missouri is considering something similar.

So I am guessing this Paul Shelton doesn't bow hunt?????

Here is theshort list of possible changes..

While no decisions have yet been made, discussion has touched on some interesting topics. Here are five:

[ul][*]1. Sell late-winter firearm tags over the counter.[*]2. Extend the existing three-day late-winter firearm, antlerless-only season. Seven days was mentioned as one possibility.[*]3. Create an antlerless-only firearm deer season in late October.[*]4. Create an earn-a-buck program in which hunters must shoot a doe before taking a buck.[*]5. Provide more public access for deer hunters. [/ul]

#5 isn't going to sit well with land owners....what it doesn't tell you in this article, is that #5 means allowing more access to PRIVATE ground.

Our Gov. has brain washed the DNR.