Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Missouri Archery Hunting with CCW permit >

Missouri Archery Hunting with CCW permit

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Missouri Archery Hunting with CCW permit

Old 09-01-2008, 07:11 PM

Default Missouri Archery Hunting with CCW permit

Below is what I have been in contact with the Missouri dept of conservation about CCW permit while archery hunting. Start at the bottom. (Names etc removed).

Ken,
Not trying to argue, just think it is stupid that I cannot legally protect myself on my own property. If an archery hunter was going to use a gun to take an animal they would just bring a rifle instead of a bow, not a concealed pistol with a 2" barrel. Also a manual is not regulation or law! Did some research and allot of states permit CCW holders to carry while archery hunting. Has this been tested in court here in missouri for a CCW permittee?
Thanks
Brian

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: MDC WEB QUESTION - Regulations - Concealed FirearmPossession -
archery hunting

You'll need to comply with the Wildlife Code for matters pertaining to hunting. Here's an excerpt from http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/13924.pdfPoint to rememberArchers hunting deer or turkey during the archery season may not be in possession of a firearm. The following is an excerpt from MDC's Area and Resource Management Manual addressing Concealed Firearm Possession: Where conflict exists, the State Wildlife Code supercedes provisions of state law.
Thanks for your interest in conservation.
Ken

Topic: Regulations
As a concealed carry permit holder the state regulations identify areas I am not permitted to carry a concealed pistol which it does not exclude me from carrying on my own property while archery hunting. Which regulation trumps which? Yours or the state CCW regulations?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Missouri Archery Hunting with CCW permit

myself I'D carry anyway on my own property!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 PM

Dear Attorney General,
I am a valid carrier of a state certified CCW Concealed carry permit. Legislators wrote Section 571.107 of the Missouri Revised Statute mandating where I am not permitted to carry which does not state I cannot carry while archery hunting on my own land. Missouri Code of State regulations Title 3 Division 10 Chapter 7, 3 CSR 10-7.432 specifies Archery hunters may not be in possesion of a firearm. Many states permit valid CCW permittees to legally carry while archery hunting. In Missouri with conflict between these two laws, I apparently cannot legally protect myself on my own property. If an archery hunter was going to use a gun to take an animal they would just bring a rifle instead of a bow, not a concealed pistol with a 2" barrel. There are many instances where trespassers have killed landowners on their own property. Just 4 yrs ago 7 out of 8 unarmed landowners were shot and killed by a trespasser. As a legal permittee following all rules for the right to carry and protect myself, I believe the Archery regulation needs amended to permit valid CCW permittees to carry when archery hunting especially when on my own property.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

All I can say TimberCreek is that if you feel you NEED to carry a handgun onYOUR property, "some laws are made to be broken". I know if I felt the need to carry a handgun while bow hunting for my safety I would. MY safety comes before anything even the law.

It's not like they counldn't tell if you shoot the deer with a bow or your hand gun unless maybe it was a .22 but if I was in fear that something might happen I would pack something alot big cal. than the ol' .22.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:50 PM

You can always ask your state representative to request an advisory opinion from the Missouri Attorney General's Office. I don't believe private individuals may request the opinions, so you'll need an elected official.

I'm curious as to why the statute doesn't trump the regulation.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 PM

I know plenty of MO folks that carry hand guns on their own property during archery season. I realize it isn't legal, but when confronted by a wildlife agent I have never been searched. In fact I don't know anyone that has been searched while hear in MO or CO. Just nicely asked for tags, and to ask how the season is going.

I would of course love to see the law revised though.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

I would like to see it changed as well.

Spudrow from Mo