Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

South East MO

Old 05-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default South East MO

my brother-in-law just retired from the Air Force and is looking to move to South East MO, i was wondering what the public land was like there for all forms of hunting, duck/goose, deer, turkey, ect. any info will be apreciated
Old 05-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: South East MO

oh my god man
there is A TON
the most popular for waterfowl is otter slough, which happens to be the best also.
deer, you just have to make sure you have a wood block that youre hunting, because thats where the deer will be during the day, same with the turkeys. there are also a ton of lease oppurtunities for ducks and geese. the farmers hate the snow geese though, so most of the time you wont even have to pay for that.
not too many canadas make it down there though, so the goose hunting will mostly be whitefronts, and snows
Old 05-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like where i hunt for geese here in CA seldomly get honkers, thanks for the help Rory, ill be sure to tell them for next season
Old 05-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

i live in the south west of missouri and i havent seen any deers yet but i have seen turkey
Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 AM

I grew up in SE MO, and there is a TON of public land, but the hunting is only ok. Deer, you have to work for a bit, but the turkey hunting is very good. Never done any waterfowl hunting, so I'm not sure how good that is there. What part of SE MO is he looking at?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

they are looking at Cape Girardeau, they have not found a house yet though, but they are looking at Cape County
Old 05-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is some great hunting in Cape County,lots of misc. Conservation Ground to hunt on around the Mark Twain National Forest around Perry County,St. Genevive and St. Francis Counties also.There are plenty of water fowl hunting down towards Lake Wappapelo off hwy 67 and if you cross over the Bill Emerson Bridge to Illinois (East Cape) there is plenty of Goose Hunting opportunities there.There are lots of Farm Ground south of Cape Girardeau towards Sikeston Mo. and lots of area's for duck hunting.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Montyo976

I grew up in SE MO, and there is a TON of public land, but the hunting is only ok. Deer, you have to work for a bit, but the turkey hunting is very good. Never done any waterfowl hunting, so I'm not sure how good that is there. What part of SE MO is he looking at?
if you hunt the bigger blocks of woods, youll be very succesful

waterfowl hunting there is some of the best in the nation

Old 05-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

well they got a house in Cape itself, so after the settle down ill start haveing them scout around on the public lands and figuring out what area is good for what hunting next fall, a few weeks ahead of your guys waterfowl season ill have them check around the local NWRs.