Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 South East Oklahoma >

South East Oklahoma

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

South East Oklahoma

Old 01-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default South East Oklahoma

Can anyone advise what the hunting is like in the SE portion of the state, mainly McCurtain Co. I was looking into some property there however wasn't sure what the terrain or deer were like. Actually, I think the nearest town is Watson. If anyone can provide any info regarding the region or deer it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:07 PM

Default RE: South East Oklahoma

I own some land in Latimer County, and while I've never hunted the property, every time I go anywhere near there I see deer.

Watson is on the south side of the Ouachita National Forest, and there's not only deer but bears in there.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

That's great info Moose, I appreciate that. Would you also happen to know if you can hunt in the forrest and is bear hunting legal there? Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:30 PM

bear arae not legal in okla.ask any wildlife official and they only exist in Ark. bull have seen one myself back in late80's
Old 01-31-2006, 03:33 PM

I hunt near Bengal, which is basically on the line between Latimer and Leflore counties. It is north of McCurtain county. The terrain is mountainous and very rough in many areas. It definitely makes any animal that you take a trophy. There are some big deer but you will have to work to find them. I love it down there. It's very beautiful.

As for the bear situation, there is definitely a fair black bear population down there. They were originally released in Arkansas but migrated over. In fact, one of them decided to enter our cabin(through the wall). Luckily no one was there. There are also some mountain lions, although the wildlife department doesn't like to claim their existence from what I hear. I have seen tracks and 'heard things' in the woods at night but have not been able to see one yet. My wife's cousin said that they supposedly released 7 pair of them last year. One of his buddies stopped him one day at the gas station in Red Oak to show him a pair that he had just shot. After being told that he could get thrown under the jail for that, he said that it was legal to shoot them because "there is no season on them, so you can shoot them year round, just like coyotes".......
Old 01-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Thanx for the info Okiemal, I really appreciate that...when you say "Rough area" how rough do you mean? I haven't actually seen a topo map but was wondering what kind of elevations exist around there. Also do you know if hunting is legal in the Ouichita National Forest? Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:15 PM

very steep terain ,not all that high ,but steep and rough,they say we dont have moutains in oklahoma either.Hancock bought out most of Weyerhauser holdings so you have to buy a permit,16.00, quichita national i believe is mostky in Ark ,may be wrong but some of the most beautiful country around down that way
Old 02-01-2006, 07:56 PM

The terrain there is not only steep, it's pretty rocky. Large conifer trees all over the place. Rains a lot, too.

Though the elevations don't get much above 2,000 feet, even when it's sunny in the valleys it can be completely fog-bound up on top.A cruise along the Talimena Skyline Drive, which is beautiful on a sunny day, can be a hair-raising experience when you can only see ten feet in front of your car.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

We were actually thinking of heading there for a hog hunt this spring, the area you speak of I meant. I hunt south of enid and we always see a ton of deer, just none of consequence. The biggest we got this year was a 7 point. There are enough does to feed the 5th infantry. We passed on 30 to 40 does over the course of five days. Bucks are scarce, and big bucks are even more so. EJ
Old 02-02-2006, 11:28 AM

Garminator, by 'rough' I mean rocky, steep and thick brushin some places. The weather can also change quickly, as stated by Moose Maximus. I have seen thick clouds of fog roll in out of nowhere. Also, try to familiarize yourself with the area before you head out. It is very easy to get lost. Most of the mountains run east and west and look the same. Find some landmarks to navigate with and you'll be fine.

They do allow hunting in the Ouachita National Forest but there are specific regulations that you need to read up on before you head down there.

Quick Reply: South East Oklahoma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.