Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions >

Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

And what will you restrict next? Where will it end? Not everyone trophy hunts, some hunt just for meat and the pleasure of the outdoors. Shoot what you want if it's legal, but leave everyone else out of it. The mania for trophy bucks is why many states have a herd that's out of control, if you want trophy bucks so badly try thinning out your does first. There's a small but vocal minority here in Indiana that are constantly pressing our DNR for antler restrictions, don't let others dictate what you can shoot.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

missouri has no problem with trying to thin out does. with most of the counties under unlimited doe harvest.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think our herd is just fine how it is now to be quite honest
Old 05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CCSD34

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

jacksons off of 55 isnt it?
yep, bout 100 miles south of st. louis
ya i know right where its at
im about 30 miles south of st louis on 55
Old 05-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

I like the resrictions and I'm not or never been a trophy hunter. If I want meat I shoot does. Normally I'll try for the first deer that comes by. I know here in Missouri we have a vast amount of deer but it wasn't always that way. It's nice to take pride in the fact that Missouri is a trophy state. Just my 2 cents worth.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

spurdow, if were already a trophy state, then why do we need these regs
i think out trophy potential is just fine right now, and that we are a trophy state already. why try and fix something that aint broke?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

I think you can call it maintanence. If we don't keep the restrictions, there won't be many trophys left and we'll be right backto the past.Like I said I'm not a trophy hunter but somehuntersare and that's ok with me. We all hunt for a variety of reasons. I don't fault the ones who hunt for antlers as long as the meat isn't wasted. The deer are there to hunt no matter what your reason as long as it's a legal one.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

the fact of the matter is we can disagree with it all we want but this is what the MDC has decided is best at this point in time. and to be honest if it wasn't for them and other agencies we would be right back where we was years ago.
Statisticly we are not a trophy state. while we do have some great areas we hold nowhere near the caliber of deer that some other states do. and i believe that is some of the reasoning behind this AR.
The MDC is trying to put missouri back near the front of the pack. and lets be honest. we all know the driving factor behind any goverment agency is money.
If missouri is once again considered a "trophy state". the revenue generated from non-resident tags will double almost overnight. i would also suspect non-res tags to go up in the next few years considerin we are still below the national average. more revenue will also be generated for local economies as well for hotels and food places. true we will havemore non-res hunters flocking to our great state but considering they are still only allowed to take a max of three antlered deer. now thats one rifle non-res tag and 2 archery non-res tags. a total of $325. when you count ther number of people that would be buying them...that money could be used for alot of conservation efforts in the state. (or a raise for someone)
Old 05-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Good post Mohunter.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 05-08-2008, 11:41 AM

The MDC is trying to put missouri back near the front of the pack.
Do we really want to be near the front of the pack?What if the increase of non-resident hunters comes at the expense of lost hunting areas or lost hunting opportunities for resident hunters? Why manage Missouri's deer herd for anyone OTHER than Missourians?

Hey, I agree, it's great to have trophy buck hunters thatgenerate a lot of economic activity, unless it comes at your expense.

Quick Reply: Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.