Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions >

Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

Old 03-30-2008, 06:56 AM

Default Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

What do you other Missouri guys think about antler restrictions in MO. We have never had them where I hunt. There, its nothing to drive by other peoples camps and see bunch of spikes hanging from the trees on opening day of rifle season. I personally wont take a spike during rifle season, id rather kill a doe.

I am lucky becauseI can get plenty of time off to hunt during rifle season. I know some people my not have the same oppurtunity that I doso they mayonly get onechance to kill a deer. If so,I can understand killing a spike. I would personally like to see bigger and better deer here in the south part of the state.

What do you guys think? Do the restrictions work?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

AR is not the best way to increase the mature buck %, but given the politics involved it is about the only method that can get voted in. Yes everything I have heard indicates AR's are working in Missouri, and soon they will be statewide. Will be hunting your state first time next month for turkey. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:01 AM

Sorry, but I do not think it is rightfor the statetell a hunter he can't shoot a young buck because another hunter doesn't want him to. Matters like this need to be dealt with privately.

I'm sure that AR's help to a degree, But all too often it comes with a higher cost to many hunters in the area.

I'd like to see some info on who is for/against AR's, and how theiropinion relates to the security of being able to hunt the same property for a long # of years.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

My personal opinion is let the young ones grow and mature. If it comes down to shooting a spike, I would rather take a doe if the regulations allow me to. I get no joy in taking a buck for it's spiked or forkedhorns. A lot of places people beg for hunters to take does to get the doe herd thinned out to make a overall healthier herd. But forsome reason some people has to take a buck even if it has spikes or forked horns. I have seen a better qulaity of deer and deer herds formAntler Restrictions in other states. Keep in mind that this is my personal opinion
Old 03-30-2008, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: midsouth_hunter

My personal opinion is let the young ones grow and mature. If it comes down to shooting a spike, I would rather take a doe if the regulations allow me to. I get no joy in taking a buck for it's spiked or forkedhorns. A lot of places people beg for hunters to take does to get the doe herd thinned out to make a overall healthier herd. But forsome reason some people has to take a buck even if it has spikes or forked horns. I have seen a better qulaity of deer and deer herds formAntler Restrictions in other states. Keep in mind that this is my personal opinion
I agree with you. Some people just have to kill a buck no matter what it is.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:13 PM

While I regularly pass on young bucks and encourage others to do so, I don't like the idea of the Conservation Commission telling a first-time hunter that they can't shoot a young buck. When I first started hunting, it was exciting to see and shoot a deer, whether it was a doe, small buck or wall-hanger. One of my first bucks was a fork. To me, it's sort of a rite of passage.

I'll admit that it will probably increase the number of older bucks in the woods, but I think we should be encouraging young and first-time hunters to kill deer, period.

And with telecheck, where you can tag and check in the deer on the phone or on the Internet, will hunters still shoot young bucks and just decide not to check them in?

It's all about the money and politics.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 AM

I can understand totally about a young or first time hunter being able to kill whatever. I have never killed one with a bow and i plan on shooting whatever walks by when archery hunting. If we still had check stations, you could allow that for younger hunters. Of course, you will still have some guys kill one for their kids to tag, there is no way around that.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

If they want larger bucks why don't they eliminate the rifles???
Old 03-31-2008, 07:36 AM

well, i guess that worked for you guys in IL. I personally love to rifle hunt and would hate to lose that option.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:53 AM

If they want larger bucks why don't they eliminate the rifles???
If we couldn't use rifles, would Missourians be able to kill enough deer to keep the population in check?

Quick Reply: Antler restrictions in Missouri - opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.