Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Controlling Wolf Populations in Northern Wisconsin >

Controlling Wolf Populations in Northern Wisconsin

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Old 02-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Controlling Wolf Populations in Northern Wisconsin

I posted this in the political forum, but it' s more for you wisconsin guys.

There is a decent size population of people that believe wolves are a great addition to the wildlife diversity. These people fantasize a world where wolves kill only sick, wounded, and old deer. They fail to realize that wolves are opportunists that kill when they feel the need to, regardless of whether the prey is in good health or not. Wolves are well known for taking down large prey including bison, moose, elk, and caribou. They surely would have no problem killing a fully mature, healthy deer.
The timber wolf is a natural predator that has a place in the wilderness of Wisconsin. In fact, wolves are not that bad as long as their numbers are monitored and controlled. The Wisconsin DNR claims there are 324 wolves in 154 collared packs in Wisconsin. That averages out to just over two wolves per pack. Wolves are most commonly found in packs of four to eight wolves. Remember that these are only the radio-collared packs. These numbers do not include wolves, which were once solitary and might have started new packs. Whether these numbers are correct or not is very questionable. This last deer season, the DNR had our whitetail deer herd at an estimated two million deer. It’s now projected that after the spring of 2003; there will be only 1.1 million deer. These estimates are off by a half million or more. It will be hard to convince Wisconsin citizens that the DNR’s wolf numbers are correct.
I consume most of my free time outdoors. In 2002, ninety-three of those days were spent hunting and many more spent scouting. I started scouting early last year while shed hunting from January through April. As summer came I spent my time surveying fields where I would note the number of deer and their sex. Hunting season began on September 14 and from that day on I hunted nearly everyday until the closing on January 3. There was a noticeable decline in the number of deer I witnessed from last fall to those summer days and eventually into this winter.
Hunters in the northern region of Wisconsin have also reported an increase in wolves and a decrease in deer in certain areas. I have noticed a large increase in wolf sign in the areas where I hunt and walk. The signs that wolves leave include numerous tracks as well as deer carcasses. The carcasses that I have found appear to be wolf kills from the extensive damage to the bone structure of the deer. Everywhere I drive or walk, I find wolf tracks. There have also been more confrontations with wolves beside just the presence of them being there.
Two confrontations that I’ve read about recently involve dogs. Sam Cook, of the Duluth News Tribune, recently wrote an article about he and his dog were on a walk when they saw three deer run across the road they were on. Not far behind the deer was a wolf. The wolf saw Sam and his dog in the road and began to approach them. The wolf‘s ears were laid back and it was showing it‘s teeth in an aggressive manner. Sam was unarmed so he attempted to grab a rock or a stick. At the same time a second wolf came out of the woods. The first wolf turned his attention back towards the deer and second wolf and left. The second incident includes a woman from Ino and her pet dog. While outside one night the dog was attacked and killed by wolves.
To keep wolf numbers in check, the DNR will first have to come up with accurate data on the number of wolves in Wisconsin. This could include an overhead infrared survey. Once the numbers of wolves is determined it is important to understand the concentrations of that population. Tags will be regulated and distributed by county with a draw system depending on the number of wolves are in that county. The number of wolves is on a steady increase and if the DNR does not take the proper steps in determining an accurate number of wolves they will soon be out of control.

Old 02-13-2003, 10:24 PM

Default RE: Controlling Wolf Populations in Northern Wisconsin

I live in Duluth and would like to let you know that it was Sam' s friend that had the encounter with the wolf.And would like to know if you want to make a trade our Northern wolves for yours.Because we got twice as many as you guys got. Are you 100% positive that the deer kills were done by wolves?I' m asking this because a pack of wild dogs or even a pack of coyotes have been known to do the same thing and alot of people assume its wolves because they think that dogs or coyotes aren' t able to. you take a average wolf track and a coyotes track and compare them and it can be deceiving,to alot of people. So would you like to trade our over 2,000 wolves for your est.324 or so.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:28 AM

Our DNR here in MN needs to take a serious look at the wolf population. They are starting to get out of control and something needs to get done. I don' t know the main reason why they were able to comeback in such numbers, but it' s kind of sad. I think that many people thought that it would be a feel good story for the wolf. But in reality it' s not.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

patriot, I' m only 30 miles east of superior. we have the same wolves here as you do there. I' m sure it was wolves that cleaned up on the deer that I have pictured. The spine is completely bit in half. also there are large chunks taken out of the shoulders and hips as well. Thank you for clearing up that story on sam' s friend and not sam himself. at this point I am unable to use sources on this report. I will come up with more definate numbers and sources soon. if you could, i' d like to see the actual story of sam' s friend and his encounter.

stump hunter, that' s why I want our DNR to take a serious look at things. I' ve heard rumors that there are estimates of up to 2000 wolves and possibly more in just the northern region of wisconsin. I believe the dnr keeps it' s estimates low so the funding continues.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:28 PM

James it was in last weeks sunday paper sam said that his buddy told him the story over the phone
Old 02-14-2003, 06:51 PM

Stump about a year ago our wolves were on the list to be taken off the endangered list and the control of the wolves would be put back in the hands of the DNR.And if I can rememeber they said that in a few years there might be a limited season on them.But don' t quote that on me.But the fact is that everyone that is involved in the wolf matter was surprised that the number of them has surpassed the primary goal.They always have been in MN.and the largest pop is still here in Northern MN. IMO and some others would too would agree to a season on them now.because the number of them is to the point where we need a harvest them to keep the pop. in check. I' ve seen a couple on my property so far but see more coyotes and dogs running the woods,good thing theirs a open season on the coyotes. but I' m a bit more concerned when I find MT. lion tracks in a few areas around,They are known to attack humans.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:23 PM

James and Stump I found out some more info go to www.dnr.state.mn.us and go to the search info type in wolves then go to the first link then click on the 2000 wolf bill summary that will give you guys some answers. hope this helps out.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:43 PM

Last June there were several live traps set for wolves southeast of the Brule area. There were signs on the trees in the areas that the traps were set to warn dog owners to keep track of their dogs. It would be interesting to know how many wolves were trapped in that area and collared. I too have seen many tracks and scat with lots of deer hair in it. I have not seen any live wolves recently but they seem to be out there. As far as how much they are harming the deer heard, unless we get more snow than we have this year, I don' t think the wolves will be making a dent in the heard this year.