Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Ohio's gun season and $15 dollar deer! >

Ohio's gun season and $15 dollar deer!

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ohio's gun season and $15 dollar deer!

Old 11-26-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Ohio's gun season and $15 dollar deer!

Was just curious how many of you guys ran into people that can not read the hunting law book. Me and dad where at the check in station and where the fifth person there, one guy in front of us tried to use a $15 tag on a doe! Said he did not know? Its called the rule book, learn to read it. I was at walmart yesterday getting another tag and watched a guy ask for one and the clerk was more then glad to sell it to him! I told him about it and he acted like I was nuts, explained it to him and he said he did not know! Some people must have a reading problem! They are fifteen dollar tags, but I bet the DNR makes a killing on fines this gun season! They are good now for the urban areas only, thats in the book to! LOL!!
Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ohio's gun season and $15 dollar deer!

I know exactly what you mean. It happened here in Licking County also.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

yes, it does seem that there are some things that get screwed up. when i got my first licence here, i asked what is required for licences and permits. its all spelled out in the game laws, and on the DNR web site. your point is well taken that there are some hard headed people that will have a hard time at the checkin'.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Was just curious how many of you guys ran into people that can not read the hunting law book. Me and dad where at the check in station and where the fifth person there, one guy in front of us tried to use a $15 tag on a doe! Said he did not know? Its called the rule book, learn to read it. I was at walmart yesterday getting another tag and watched a guy ask for one and the clerk was more then glad to sell it to him! I told him about it and he acted like I was nuts, explained it to him and he said he did not know! Some people must have a reading problem! They are fifteen dollar tags, but I bet the DNR makes a killing on fines this gun season! They are good now for the urban areas only, thats in the book to! LOL!!
Actually I did have a problem with the Ohio Hunting Regulations handbook. I moved here from Southern California in January of 2007 and went to purchase my license and tag in September (was going dove hunting and purchased Deer tag while I was at Gander Mountain). During archery season I spotted a huge buck and passed on several does because the tag says 'antlered or antlerless'. It was somewhat confusing when you also read in the regulation book that there are additional $15.00 doe permits. I interpreted it to mean that if I shot a doe with the 'antlered/antlerless' tag I'd only be able to shoot does because the next permits would all be the $15.00 doe only variety.

I spoke with a conservation officer and he said that you could shoot a doe with the first tag and purchase up to two more $24.00 tags (depending on the zone) and shoot ONE buck with either of those tags. If you filled the first (3) $24.00 tags you could than move to the $15.00 doe tags. The conversation cleared up a lot of confusion...though it came a little late as I passed up a number of easy shots on does during the archery season.

In any event its always better to ask for confirmation than it is to assume anything.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Craziness??????If not sure , why not find out b4 going out??Even b4 buying tags?Id say it'd save a little money in court costs , but the DNR does love a hunters money
Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: SuperTiger18
I interpreted it to mean that if I shot a doe with the 'antlered/antlerless' tag I'd only be able to shoot does because the next permits would all be the $15.00 doe only variety.
If you where in Zone 1, the only way you could shoot a buck is if you went to zone 2 or 3. And if in Zone 1you could only shoot one fifteen dollar antlerless deer. Would have to go to zone 2 or 3 to get more.

I spoke with a conservation officer and he said that you could shoot a doe with the first tag and purchase up to two more $24.00 tags (depending on the zone) and shoot ONE buck with either of those tags. If you filled the first (3) $24.00 tags you could than move to the $15.00 doe tags.
You could also only do all this before the start of gun season. That was when the 15 dollar tags where no longer valid state wide and could only be used in the "urban" zones. That was why I made the post was since alot of guys think the tags are good for the entire year. The zones may be confusing, but the part thesaid they are only good until the 25th is pretty plain. Alot of guys are getting fines for the lack of not taking five minuets to read the few pages there is on deer regulations.