Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Hunting Land Help >

Hunting Land Help

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Hunting Land Help

Old 11-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting Land Help

I know many urban hunters cherish their hunting spot wherever it may be, as I notice more and more land being lost to subdivisions and even a highway cutting through a forest preserve near me, I want to reach out to fellow hunters and ask for help. I have never gotten a deer with my bow in the 4 years ive been bowhunting. I ve hunted public land and had a countless number of hunts ruined by other hunters. Im frustrated and ready to wave the white flag on that. Private land with deer and a good amount of land is virtually impossible to find around me and even when I do find an area the landowners are quick to say no. I had a spot lined up for this season, i had permission, until the landowner talked to his neighbor. His neighbor being a shotgun hunter didnt want him to allow me to hunt his property, the gentlemans whom I got permission from, so he told me to take my stand and get off his property. A spot to hunt spoiled by a fellow hunter. So out of desperation I am going to reach out to the hunting community and ask for help. I am eager to get my first bow kill. I have hunted for many years in Wisconsin during rifle season and been successful but not with my bow. I am an Illinois resident and live about 25 miles southwest of Chicago in the Suburb of Lemont. Im 21 years old, a full time student, and I also work fulltime, so even then my hunting chance are rare. Im asking for help for a place to hunt. I have been turned down many times but refuse to give up. Are there any fellow Illinois hunters willing to allow someone to bow hunt? Can anyone help solve my problem?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting Land Help

no chance i guess.......
Old 11-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of us are in the same boat. Im in illinois but further south. Private land here is getting harder and harder to hunt every day. A few years back I had access to numerous private parcels. But they have dwindled to only a few. Down her the outfitters leased up a bunch and what they didnt lease hunters did so they wouldnt loose it.
Good luck
Old 11-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I could help you out, but unfortunately I'm in no position to do so. The only private land I personally have access to does not allow me to bring other hunters with me, otherwise I'd be more than happy to have you out on a hunt. And like you said, land anywhere near the Chicago suburbs to hunt on is extremely hard to come by, and when you do find a spot you're smart to hold onto it for dear life.

The only thing I can tell you is to keep hunting as much as you can and as hard as you can, and eventually good things will happen. Keep door knocking, ask around online, ask people at your local bow/sporing goods store, put an add in the paper, do whatever it takes. There are some decent hunting opportunities on IL public ground as well, maybe someone can take you out and show you a few pointers?

If all else fails, look into saving up some money fora lease or a semi-guided hunt somewhere. You can still find some semi-affordable hunts out there, and maybe you'll even be lucky enough to find someone willing to cut you a deal on an early or late season hunt for does only.

Good luck with your search, and don't give up!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

I know just how you feel, and so do most people on here. your looking at this all wrong and most get discoraged like you quick, dont. you need to look at finding a place to hunt as part of the hunt. you need to change your hunting style to meet the conditions. in the 4 years that you have hunted have you done anything for the land owners that gave you permission ? that goes a long way my friend. the parsel of private that i hunt my first deer i split 50/50 with the land owner, kinda dought he will ever tell me to get lost now. christmas he gets a bottle of his favorite bubbly, and a thank you card. look at it as preseason prep. look it as cutting out your shooting lanes at your tree stand, whatever you want to call it. its a nessasary thing if you want to hunt private land and compete with others horning you out. be patient just like you would be on stand, dont look for the perfect spot either. good luck
Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't give up on public land. If you look you can find out of the way spots that get little pressure.
There is some army corps of engineers land along the Mississippi river about two hours west of you that you could check into.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for all the info and ideas. i would have been glad to give back to a landowner, its just ive never gotten permission anywhere. thanks for all the ideas and i will put them towards future efforts
Old 11-30-2007, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keith, You are only about 2 hrs north of Newton lake and the Sam Par camp ground. I can tell you that is some awesome hunting there because I have been there. Last year the guys went 5 bucksout of 9 hunters!!! You might want to check that place out its good!!! Walt
Old 11-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

well i feel you i am 22 started hunting 4 years a go in ky in the middle of the season i oved back to indiana then 6months later ack to ky and at the tail end of my season my second year i moved to nc did not gunt last yea because i did not have hunters ed

this year i got luck moved back to indiana south west were 90% of my conty is woods with three state fish and wildlife areas and i bought a house so no moving and i even ound 40 acres of privit land to hunt that i is bow only ang in there i plan to by some land for the 08 season and when i do your welcome to come down here it is hard getting on privit land my guest is the shotgunners did not wont you getting first crack at there deer
ps since my fris season ihave saw nothing this year i saw 55 deer on 8 hunts missed two big does and had a 8point 15 yards out
Old 11-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Check this public land out-
Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie

30239 South State Route 53 | Wilmington, Illinois 60481
Voice: (815) 423-6370 | Fax: (815) 423-6376

Quick Reply: Hunting Land Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.