Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Hunting Land Help >

Hunting Land Help

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Hunting Land Help

Old 11-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting Land Help

Thanks guys. I have been out to Midewin and its nice, but that is where I have done a majority of my hunting and have had many people tromp through the woods near my stand and spoil a hunt. Thanks for all the info, and big tim, dont be surprised if you do hear from me again
Old 12-03-2007, 10:28 PM

I started my bowhunting at Necedah Wildlife Refuge/Meadow Valley State Area in Necedah ,Wi. If you hunt out of state check this place out.You can camp early season and hunt from camp.There are about 6 camp areas.Both areas are over 100,000 acres of huntable woods and wetlands.Look on a map.It's in Juneau County.
In Illinois,public land is pretty crowded.Unless you can get a spot pretty much to yourself,try Necedah.It's great if you go before rifle season.Slim pickings after that.They do alot of archery drives there late season.That's fun if you can get invited to drive with a group.They fill alot of tags that way.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Spike

I hunt public land in Shawnee National Forest in southern IL...about a 5 hour drive for you...if you can get away for weekend I could suggest some decent locations with very little pressure especially during bow season.

I would not give up on Midewin...my friend has taken a couple out of their with bow...just because someone tromps through does not mean all of the deer are gone...that place is full of animals. Bow hunting is just tough and takes patience.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

I agree you shouldn't give up on public land. Hunt during the week if possible and get as far from access roads as possible. As far as having trouble gaining access to private ground, welcome to Illinois.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks I was just out again on public land the other day and I do mostly hunt it during the week so I would think I would be more likely to catch something moving but thats hunting
Old 12-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

When trying to find private ground dont pass up the small inconspicuous places that you may think arnt worth hunting. Alot of guys around here do and I have found alot of times the deer hide out there and I have taken several deer from such locations.
Just a suggestion.
my only other suggestion is find you some gal whose daddy owns some ground and marry her--REGARDLESS of what she looks like
Old 12-08-2007, 11:03 PM

I am in the same boat as you. My dad is getting so frustrated with other people messing up the hunt, but I know there are more deer to be had if we work harder. Just keep looking for a good public place to hunt. One tip is to look for a bow only place to hunt. This time of the year should be the best. Nobody wants to sit in a stand for hours on end in 10 degree weather. Honestly, I hate gun season. Early and late bow is where it's at.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like your too worried about getting onto private land... Public land can be very rewarding, the key is to put a good deal of work into it. I am an hour or two north of you in Wisc. I have taken many big bucks off of public land where others have said there were no big bucks and hunting pressure would keep you unsuccessfull. My success has come from heavy scouting all year round. I hunted some illinois public ground early season last year and saw several huge bucks ( Around Chandlerville) one was even a for sure Booner, and I only actually hunted one weekend. You can call the IDNR or the WDNR and ask to talk with the area bioligist who should be able to tell you about specific public opertunitys in the areas your looking for... That tactic has worked really well for getting me onto great public and lesser known public spots in Iowa. Bottom line is it takes alot of work learning these propertys. Studying topo's and aeriels, walking the property inch for inch post season etc. If you learn the land, and you never over hunt the good spots, you should have no problem getting onto good bucks on the public. Private access will come adventually, but even once you have it., don't just hunt there and burn it up. Move around alot and keep the spots fresh.
I just finished a 2 1/2 hour DVD that explains exactly how I hunt public land in S.E. Wisconsin successfully taking big bucks every year. It might be a good resource for you. Here is a link to check it out or purchase it if you like:
http://bloodbro.com/huntingmarshbucks.php