Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Stage of Midwest rut..... >

Stage of Midwest rut.....

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Stage of Midwest rut.....

Old 10-29-2007, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stage of Midwest rut.....

So....I have been thinking that the rut, contrary to what most were predicting, is going to be later this year. I am in NE Iowa and locally the heavy pursuit phase of the rut has NOT started. A few small bucks chasing does at dusk/dawn is it.

How is it for my fellow hunters in the upper midwest? What is your best estemate of when the 'peak' rut as far as deer movement will be? I say next week, starting Nov 4 or so. The past couple years it has peaked locally around Nov 1.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Stage of Midwest rut.....

The rut isn't controlled by a calender, and it comes around about the same time it does every year, that's why your game dept. schedules your seasons the way they do.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

I just hope I took off the right week. I will be In Illinois City, Illinoisfrom the 10th to the 16th. I hope the rut can fit into my calender..lol

Good Luck to all
Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know it comes around about the same time every year....but i have still seen the chasing phase vary by up to a week, from the last week of Oct to the second week of Nov. Its correlated to the weather in general and amount of daylight in particular....just thinking its going to be later by about a week than the last two years. Really, that would make it right on time from what I have seenfor 8 yearsin NE Iowa. Last two years had peak deer movement around Nov 1(Locally). this year....Mr October should do well in November! good luck to yourself!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

According to Deer and Deer Hunting TV, the Midwest rut started (seeking phase) on October 26th. The peak should be between the 1st and the 10th.

Let's hope for some cool weather next weekend.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex

Old 10-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

Up here in NW Illinois I haven't seen much of anything going on. I've talked to a few guys who have seen and heard of some light chasing. But down in So. Illinois where do most of my hunting, the deer are apparently going wild already! I was originally planning on bowhunting the 10th-15th this year but next week is looking to be good...as long as weather permits. I just don't know if I can schedule it with work.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

I'm in West Central WI and it seems like the smaller bucks are starting to search for anything they can find. However, from what I've seen, the does are not even close yet as once they hear even a low volume grunt, they scatter. Did see about a 150" last Wed. doing a lip curl as he was checking a doe so they are about ready to go into the seeking phase. I go by the moon and its affect on the rut as to why it sometimes shifts from year to year. Other factors come into play (i.e weather, temp)but I think the moon has a significant influence.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a real nice 8 point come into my calling 2 nights ago! He came in from over 100 yards to about 18 offering no shot. He then walked out of range and started chasing a Doe all around my stand for at least 10 minutes! Sure is a good time to sit all day!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will not be able to get out till friday...hopefully things will start kicking off about then, I plan on sitting in my stands pretty much all day for the three days I can hunt then. Should have an opportunity then or my year is really out of wack. Nice cold weather coming, moon fading, chase phase starting to kick in!!

those of you that can go out Thurs morning. Dont ask why, I just am pretty sure it will be a good time for the upper mississippi river valleyeven though thechase phase is not quite full swing.

Well I hope everybody gets on to some deer! Luck!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I've had luck lately here in southeast South Dakota with rattleing and grunting with an occasional snort wheeze when they start to walk away, I had a little buck paceing infront of my stand the other night I just kept calling him into about 10 yards, but he wasnt what I wanted so I let him go at dusk

Quick Reply: Stage of Midwest rut.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.