Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Stage of Midwest rut..... >

Stage of Midwest rut.....

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Stage of Midwest rut.....

Old 11-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stage of Midwest rut.....

November 9th should be prime time in most areas of the mid-west. It has been in NE Indiana for years and years. I tend to see the most action from November 5th thru the 15th.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just heard on the weather that there is a big cold front coming through northern minnesota on sunday. I'm betting that's going to kick the rut in high gear.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Spike

I hunt southern Illinois and to tell you the truth we haven't seen anything crazy at all. Some areas are better than others but in St. Clair county the deer movement has been stagnent.

79 Bronco
Old 11-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

So....I have been thinking that the rut, contrary to what most were predicting, is going to be later this year. I am in NE Iowa and locally the heavy pursuit phase of the rut has NOT started.
I'm starting to think your right... Smaller bucks doing some seeking and a little bit of chasing (also only at dusk and dawn) but the does aren't ready and the big boys seem to be MIA for the most part...
Old 11-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Spike

Hey everyone,

I went out yesterday morning on the 3rd and just like last year all of the sudden we went from no action to bucks on the run! It was nice to see. I have also heard that the 9th is supposed to beTHE day for action but I will be out there as much as possible between now and then.

Good luck,

79 Bronco

St. Clair County, IL.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Whole lotta chasing going on in NW Illinois right now.

I had a large ten-pointer and a small eight-pointer chase a doe right under my stand at first light Saturday morning. Also saw a few bucks chasing does on my way to drop off a doe I took an hour or so later.

Back out next weekend, the cold front coming through should reallyget them going.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 11-05-2007, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Saw A buck standing over a bedded doe that did not move when he saw me , only moved after the doe got up. I think that the rut is about ready to take off .
Charlie
Old 11-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

BAM the rut is on folks (in NE Iowa) it kicked off this weekend, i nailed a brute and everybody I know is really seeing bucks cruising and chasing. I saw one doe in estrus also saturday, a buck right by her side. Supprised there was only one with her.

The next full week is it. prime time.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:46 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Still not much in Western SD. I have a pretty good gauge. We have about 20 does that come out around our parking lot every day. They start showing up about 3:00pm. Have yet to see a buck anywhere around. Now dark when I leave work and still yet to see a buck with or around them even after dark.
They come and graze around the buildings after everyone leaves work. I'm a veterinarian so I come back often at all hours of the night and I always see the does but no bucks yet no matter the time.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mez

Still not much in Western SD. I have a pretty good gauge. We have about 20 does that come out around our parking lot every day. They start showing up about 3:00pm. Have yet to see a buck anywhere around. Now dark when I leave work and still yet to see a buck with or around them even after dark.
They come and graze around the buildings after everyone leaves work. I'm a veterinarian so I come back often at all hours of the night and I always see the does but no bucks yet no matter the time.
Its neat how I have seen the rut work from east to west accross the central upper midwest this year. I work by madison and the rut really kicked off about early-middle of last week it seemed like. In far SE wisconsin it started wed-thurs of last week from those i have talked to. Then I travel 100 miles west to where I hunt in NE IA and it started this past weekend. Sounds like it has kicked off in central IA about the same time....Doubt it is a 'large' scale trend but interesting none the less.

You are up next buddy.

Quick Reply: Stage of Midwest rut.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.