Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 bear hunting in minnesota >

bear hunting in minnesota

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

bear hunting in minnesota

Old 09-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Spike

Default bear hunting in minnesota

looking for some help ,had only one 0f 6 baits hit and that got hit 2 times. bear hunting for 5 years and have not shot a bear, just would looking for somehelp to fill my tag.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bear hunting in minnesota

have you tried liquid smoke? how about a honey burn (burning honey with a sterno can)?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:35 AM
Spike

all kinds of smoke, and have tried honey burns, nothing is working this year.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:55 AM

I have a friend who purchased a fishing lodge in Canada a few years ago. After he bought it, he found out it came with some bear tags......So he was now in the bear hunting business.

What he learned, is to hangsome bait in a tree so the bear has to hug the tree to get to the bait. He then covers the tree trunk with a variety of baits, peanut butter, smoke french fry grease, etc.The bear gets the sticky bait on his fur, and whenthe bear leaves the bait it puts bait scent in the air. As other bears cut this trail they back track it to your bait sight. Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 PM

where are you bear hunting .,everything ever body has said is all real good stuff that i have used at one point and time.,our best luck was using oats mixed with sugar and water., let sit for a couple of days., they really took that really well . and then we put fryer geese on last so that the bear would have to walk in it and when they left they had it on there pads and left a scent trail right to the bait., , and we had allot of other bear hunters in the area., and we scored the first night .,
Old 09-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Spike

bear hunting in area 45, seen lots of sign but can not get the bears to hit. everone has given very good info, just at a realy big lose here
Old 09-14-2007, 05:52 PM

wow 45 is pretty good area., i hunt in 44 . ,have you tried to do some calling? get some predator calls like rabbit ,and start yappen.,a bud of mine did that last year and had a big one come right by him., it was 1 week before the season so that is why he didn't shoot., but he said it came right in on the call., and that was in the grygla area.,(just a thought)? good luck
Old 09-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to rub it in but I saw one while deer hunting this weekend. I also got a picture of a big sow on my trail camera.

Are there a lot of berries in your woods? That might be the problem????