Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Northern Minnesota Bear Hunting >

Northern Minnesota Bear Hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Northern Minnesota Bear Hunting

Old 02-03-2008, 10:02 AM

Default Northern Minnesota Bear Hunting

Just looking for comments, advice, good or bad on hunting bear in the Ely area.Archery-recurve-Cedar arrows.I have never been there before. BMU 25 &31 I believe. Not in the BWCA.I have spoken with a guide/ outfitter/baiter in the area, but have not committed as of yet. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Northern Minnesota Bear Hunting

It might be good! Hopefully you would have less people there then what are in area 13. That zone is packed full of people and guides. As long as your not in the BWCA you are able to bait which I'm sure you know. I wasn't sure if thats what BWA stood for. Good luck!!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Check out the North Shore Finland area also, i like up north and there are some decent bears up here. Last yr when out on the Atvs we saw 2 monster blacks around the landfills. if i can find the pictures i will post.
good luck
Old 02-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a pretty healthy population of black bears in NE MN in general. My family lives about 50 mi. south of Ely, SW of Finland. It's pretty rugged, mostly heavily mixed wooded (e.g. fir, aspen, birch, pine, etc.). Many lakes.
I think it depends in part how much natural food the bears have in the fall. If there is sparce berries, hazelnuts, Indian Plums, etc. and you've got bait they can smell, you'll likely get visits and possible opportunity.
I don't personally hunt them. A fellow who does on my family's land has been very challenged to get them to come to bait in the day. They'll come a night. But I'm sure the experienced guides and hunters have ways to encourage them to come around in daylight, too.