Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Anyone hunt hogs/coons in Kansas? >

Anyone hunt hogs/coons in Kansas?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Anyone hunt hogs/coons in Kansas?

Old 05-23-2007, 01:44 AM

Default Anyone hunt hogs/coons in Kansas?

I moved here from Texas where I was starting to get into hog hunting after frequenting bayings. I have one bay dog (blue lacy) but intend to get another one as a help dog. Does anyone in KS have hogs...I'm trying to hunt hogs but have no clue about coon hunting...any advise is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone hunt hogs/coons in Kansas?

I've coon hunted plenty of times in Kansas, as there are plenty of them here! Hogs on the other hand, are illegal to hunt here in KS, unless it's a deprivation tagtype of situation.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:14 AM

From what I understood was that you have to get the special permit from the state THEN get written/typed permission from the landowner to hunt hogs on their property...found out that KS prefers the landowners to be the ones getting the special permit because it's their land and most of them are paranoid about property rights. We gave up on that in Texas...too many hogs..they're like roaches there..they're even starting to invade rich people's properties in Houston, golf courses in San Antonio, backyards in Lakeway....you get what I mean, plus the gov't is trying to prevent people from importing hogs to release in their areas..hogs will still breed regardless. I'm going to talk to the Kansas Livestock Commissioner of KS and he's the guy who came up with the idea of the special permit..will let you know what happens.

As for coon hunting, I know nothing about it except that my blue lacy will bay up a coon in a cage.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:14 PM

That is a good question I will have to do some checking on that. It was only made illegal a little over a year ago and thus far it has been state agents killing off large numbers from helicopters.

The two areas of the state that have had the largest populations to my knowledge are the Red Hills area and the Fort Riley area.

I was just getting ready to do some in an area where an old farmer had died and his wife had set all pigs loose including some pot bellies some five years ago. They have gone feral and intermixed to make some real nasty little creatures. Then the state goes and makes it illegal. Just my luck.

As far as coon hunting there are plenty around and not far from where you are in Wichita (Arkansas rivers, Whitewater, Walnut all hold good numbers). Most of the coon hunting I am aware of is in the SE part of the state around Parsons and Pittsburg areas. Where anyone with hounds do it with any regularity.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:15 AM

Large numbers from helicopters? Haven't they learned from the Texas Wildlife & Parks? They claimed a high # of kills but privately admitted to maybe less than 5. Any hog with a lick of sense will run off when they hear a machine gun going off. I'll believe it when I see the pics of stacked up hogs..problem is they're on military land and apparently they mine the land so it's very dangerous to be walking around there..a chance to get blown up. I promise you they are going to be all over in KS less than 5-10 years.

I am doing research on squirrel hunting. Wonder if that's allowed in KS?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The military "seems" to have done a pretty good job of keeping the feral population around the fort, in check. I have some hunting landclose to it, and to this day, I've never seen a wild hogor indication of one being there... yet they have been in that area for many years. 6-7 years ago, helicopters supposively shotover a couplehundred, and descimatedthe population to under an estimated 50. This was all done in the impact zone, where nobody enters on foot. They originated from a local farm to become feral.

I was interested in hunting them several years ago, and did a good amount of research on it. But then I learned that a vast majority of the hogs where in the impact zone, and with a low population after the helicopters, I didn't bother.

This is information was given to me by friends who work on the fort. All I know is that the population on the Fort has been controlled, otherwiseI (&local farmers) wouldbe seeing them.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:45 AM

If so, trust me, they'll eventually come in thru other states. I know Oklahoma has them but apparently mostly in Southern or SE part but they'll be in KS sooner or later. I know they're in western KS..I honestly forget where. I was told they have been sighted near Wichita and local farmers aren't too happy about it...not in huge numbers but they breed like crazy so it won't be long. I will be hog hunting in Oklahoma finally with my dogs.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:36 PM

The red hills area is basicly SW Kansas and this is where they have done a lot of the helicopter control shoots. They even had a big write up in the Wichita Eagle about it.

There are groups close to Wichita, I know of some out by Andover that will be getting attension before long.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:24 PM

there's a good number of hogs in and around the Clinton wildlife area between Topeka and Lawrence. i've seen sign everywhere and at one time it was ok to hunt them. there was a news segment last fall saying they had flown it with a helicopter and killed a large number but i don't believe it. the area that they lived in was some very thick cedar growth and there is no way they could have made a dent in the population. does anyone know the rationale behind outlawing the hunting for hogs? doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:34 AM

Basically they don't want hunters buying then transporting hogs to where they live and releasing the hogs to run wild. Used to be KS had 3 distinct populations based on military reserves but now there are over 20 counties that have hogs in KS due to this habit of people releasing them. Plus there are some hog farmers in KS who do not want feral hogs spreading diseases to their livestock. Personally I think the KS Livestock Comission who regulates who gets the special hog hunting permit has a screw loose and is on a power trip. You have to go through them to get the hog hunting permit THEN ask permission from landowner and apparently it has to be written/typed permission on paper! In other words, right now, they are allowiing only landowners to get the special permit...but there are ways to get around it. CALL the KS Livestock Comissoner Teagarden and give him a piece of your mind but be nice when you speak to him...honey gets flies easier.....