Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 THE LAZY PEOPLE    ( OUTFITTERS ) >

THE LAZY PEOPLE ( OUTFITTERS )

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

THE LAZY PEOPLE ( OUTFITTERS )

Old 03-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: THE LAZY PEOPLE ( OUTFITTERS )

ORIGINAL: JohnnyLonghorns

First of all, there is public land you can hunt. Second, the only person you should be calling lazy is yourself. If you don't like it, then buy your own land which you shouldn't have any trouble doing if you are working 12 hours a day 6 days a week. If you're working that much and still can't afford to buy ground then you are a total dumbsh*t.

Outfitters may take "your" land away, but they pay huge dividends to the area. 1. The tourism they bring to West Central IL is huge. Without their business, local restaurants, hotels, and others couldn't survive. Just look at the Archery Shop in Pittsfield. A beautiful 3,000 sq. ft. building that would never be there if it weren't for outfitters coming into the area. 2. Without outfitters, the land management for deer would be terrible. Areas where deer were once starving now have food available year round. It also helps decrease the amount of crop damage deer cause to a farmer'scrop. 3.Farmers who once had little to no income from the timber areas on their farm are now seeing increased revenue.

Rather than complaining about "The Lazy People", maybeyou should think twice about what exactly outfitters do for this region and not what they do for you.
This is exactly the attitude that promotes the type of sentiment expressed by the first post!

I've seen outfitters alter government policy for their financial advantage, close off vast blocks of hunting acreage to the real hunters, and, turn hunting into an industry where the profit is worth the cost, as long as the cost is payed by everyone else.

Don't spewthis self-righteous message and expect me to agree. You insultall sportsmenwith these short-sighted arguments. Thank goodness for outfitters lest the entire economy may collapse! Thank goodness for outfitters because they are saving the state's already burgeoning trophy whitetail herd! Thank goodness for outfitters because they are saving thosepoor farmers who couldn't make it without them! Those arguments don't float!

The greedy attract the greedyand beget more greedys. If outfitters don't start regulating themselves to balance the benefits for hunters who don't or can't use their services, then, maybe it's time the rest of us toconsider regulations for them. After all, the dollar may be powerful, but so is the vote, and I'm guessing there's more disgruntled hunters than there are outfitters.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:42 PM

I have never seen or heard of land outfitters until I hunted illinios.It sure is something to someone who is not familar with it.I cann't see how the state controls the deer herd, when the outfitters control all hunting rights and kills.Now we can always offer the farmers the same cash as the outfitters give him, you would think that would be better for him then having an outfitter rotating strangers on his property weekly.Does that make any scenes to you guys?

[/align]
Old 03-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I always thought that outfitting was a nationwide thing, and that most paid hunts are a type of outfitting.

Of course, you can lease land from a landowner. Some people are just starting to do that in my neck of the woods. But, if you do that and then post the land to other hunters, they will likely regard you the same way as they woulkd an outfitter.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Lanse, in my mind at least, someone who leases a farm to insure he and his family/friends have a place to exercise and enjoytheir privilege to hunt is in a completely different category than the person/s who lease large blocks of property for profit,and, effectively close off same to the population of hunters who can't pay for access.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Why does everything have to be regulated? It's a free country and if an outfitter wants to lease a piece of land to provide a hunting service for a fee to those who do not live around here so be it. I agree with you that it has become difficult to find afarmer who does not want to make a couple thousand dollars so someone like you can hunt.However, outfitters should not be responsible formaking sureYOU have aplace to hunt and neither should the government. Maybe I am greedy, because I've made a lot of money from outfittersin our area and that is what puts food on the tableat my house.However, I have a pretty good idea of what type of person you are from your posts and it is obvious you have never had toEARN a thing in your life. Go out and work your ass off like the majority of landowners and buy your own piece of property. Then you can have all your friends who have nowhere else to hunt come over to your farm and shoot as many deer as you want.Don't justsit back and wait for the Government to do it for you! A man has a right to make a living and nobody has a right to take that away from him...no government, no union, NOBODY!!!

And I don't know a single outfitter that will not offer his services to someone...I'd be interested to see if you could find an outfitter that wouldturn someone down. You might also think about working for an outfitter. I know several in West Central IL that will let you hunt their properties for free if you help them scout and hang stands. Since you'll probably be scouting anyways, this is a great oppurtunity for you to get private ground to hunt on. And if you want to purchase your own property, Iowa is relatively inexpensive and the Dakotas are dirt cheap ($400-$700 per acre). These are just a couple ideas to maybe help you with your problem.

ORIGINAL: Gruntr Huntr

The greedy attract the greedyand beget more greedys. If outfitters don't start regulating themselves to balance the benefits for hunters who don't or can't use their services, then, maybe it's time the rest of us toconsider regulations for them. After all, the dollar may be powerful, but so is the vote, and I'm guessing there's more disgruntled hunters than there are outfitters.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Like any other buisness, outfitters have there place in this world. This is America, we all have the right to make money legally anyway we see fit. We all have opinions about what we feel is right and what is wrong. Whether it's selling deer or selling the hunt to people or if it's selling beef or pork, society has made this market profitable and where there is profit there is people who want to make money whether it is morally wrong or not.( not saying outfitting is wrong) Bottom line hunting has never been free and never will be free, somebody, some where, is paying for it. It may be me or you or the outfitters. Just because it's public land and it's free to hunt dosen't mean it dosen't cost something to keep it that way. I understand that in your area because of the outfitting buisness and there need for more profit your hunting land has shrunken and has become limited,that stinks, but life isn't fair , just ask all the greatdads of the world who supported their children and their wifes only to get divorced and loose everything they ever worked for. Now that's not fair. But the law is the law, if the state says they can be there doing that they can and will be there. Although it wouldn't be a bad idea for outfitters to offer something special for the local residents who pay taxes in the county. Like a special hunt for registered local hunters. Just my 2 cents on the topic.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you Johnny Longhorns, I could not have said it better myself. A person may have hunted for free in the past, so nowa personfeels he should always have the free ride. If you can't afford to lease your own, then perhaps you should check your Job. And as for outfitters being lazy, you should follow me around for 1 week, and you will probaly run back to your job. Just make friends with change and hustle for what you need.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hay Dan,
I couldnt have put it better myself.Ill agree with you bigtime on this.
ORIGINAL: _Dan

I can understand your frustration with the situation, but, calling outfitters lazy is pretty moronic. If you actually understood how much time, effort, and money went into being an outfitter, you'd change your tune. Then again, ignorance is bliss.

p.s. Nice first post.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gruntr,

The only problem I see with your statement about leasing is that folks who lease land tend to post it, so some folks in the area are still going to view it as losing access to land that they hunted in the past. I'm not saying that people don't have the right to lease land (just as people have the right to work as outfitters), just that the way that some of them act will sometimes be viewed as being in the ballpark with outfitters.

By the way, what part of southern Illinois are you in. I'm from Richland County.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:36 AM

if you don't want outfitters to lease the land your hunting for free, then offer the farmer some money for a lease. why should the farmer pay his property taxes so you can hunt for free. they don't make land anymore so quit being cheap and help the farmer out and he will help you

Quick Reply: THE LAZY PEOPLE ( OUTFITTERS )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.