Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 THE LAZY PEOPLE    ( OUTFITTERS ) >

THE LAZY PEOPLE ( OUTFITTERS )

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

THE LAZY PEOPLE ( OUTFITTERS )

Old 03-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: THE LAZY PEOPLE ( OUTFITTERS )

well said Peak Rut
Old 03-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Peakrut, it many cases it has nothing to do with not wanting to do the work. The group of guys I go with use it as a vacation. For bear in canada we bring our own stands and have to set them up, but for the most part the guides or outfitters do most or all of the scouting. I only get on these hunts every so often, not something I do every year but like I said we use it as a vacation. Much rather do that then sit my butt on some beachresortbaking in the sun. I try to plan any hunts I may take around the "October lull". Just something to do.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:37 AM

I am fortunate enough to hunta farm in Southern Illinois, it is the same county where the Cambell Bro's set up shop. We have been hunting there going on 7 seasons. When we started hunting the land, there was Cambell's and that was it, now I believe there are 6 or maybe 7 outfitters in the county. Our good friend who farms the land has been offered substantial amounts of $$$ to lease his property for hunting and thankfully for us he always turns it down. A couple of things he dislikes about the outfitters is...
1. The outfitters drive up the cost of land. B/f the outfitter competition. he could find land around 1000 an acre, now in the area people are selling it for 3to4 times as much. Last year a big outfitter out bid him on a 150 by over 100,000 dollars!! After the outfitter outbid him at auction, he just raised the price and advertised it in the Evansville paper as Land for Hunters. Sure outfitters would say, well your land value is going up, why would you care? What about the farmer who can't compete and pay that price for more land?

2. Some outfitters and many of their clients have no regards for land boundaries. As the outfitter numbers began to increase, out little honey hole became tainted. One member of our group went to his stand on the first morning of firearm season in 05 only to find one of the new outfitter's had tore down his ladder stand. That same year I walked about a mile to my stand only to see a light climbing in the darkness. An outfitter had given him bad instructions and he had wondered onto my spot and ruined my morning. Needless to say our good friend and farmer was not happy.

He swears he would never sell out and refuses to give his land up to outfitters. He even had a guy call to tell him a guy in Florida would pay him almost 20, 000 dollars a year to lease his entire farm for the entire deer season and he told him NO.

In the offseason we take weekends and go to Illinois to visit with him and show him our appreciation,We did an "extreme makeover" to his house in Feb. and have built decks, lofts, and hauled logs out of the woods for him. We have become such good friends with him that he wants us up to hunt every year. Thank god for good ol fashioned people, who ain't all about the $$$$.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:47 PM

Its good to know that there are still people like that around (see my post "Tree Huggers"). It's a shame that commerialized hunting has gotten so popular, its a double edged sword. Its good for hunting in general, but not always good for certain individuals in certain areas.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 AM

Glad to hear of you good fortune Mason.

i totally agree with the way your friend here in Illinois feels. Its all about the money for most of these guys (outfitters) most of the outfitters i knew before they were outfitters were not guys known for their love of hunting and the outdoors.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:55 AM

I KEEP SEE SOME YA'LL TALKIN ABOUT THEM THERE OUTFITTERS PAYING TAXES.WELL I WONDER HOW MANY OF THEM TURN IN ALL THEY MAKE IN ALL OFF THE PEOPLE THEY OUTFITT.I BET THEY MAY TURN IN MAYBE HALF OR SO.ITS ALL ABOUT MAKEING MONEY.I THINK THE STATE SHOULD REGULATE WHAT THEY CHARGE AND PUT A LIMIT ON HOW MUCH THEY CHARGE SAY LIKE ABOUT $500.00 PER HUNTER.
IM PLANNING ON GOING TO THE GAME COMISHINS NEXT MEETING AND TALK TO THEM ALL ABOUT THIS AND SEE WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea,we need more regulations.Here in Wisconsin,you damn near need a lawyer to know for sure if youre not breaking the law somehow.Why does it bother you what someone charges?Im not an outfitter,but i hate a bizzy body.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mason Nolan

I am fortunate enough to hunta farm in Southern Illinois, it is the same county where the Cambell Bro's set up shop. We have been hunting there going on 7 seasons. When we started hunting the land, there was Cambell's and that was it, now I believe there are 6 or maybe 7 outfitters in the county. Our good friend who farms the land has been offered substantial amounts of $$$ to lease his property for hunting and thankfully for us he always turns it down. A couple of things he dislikes about the outfitters is...
1. The outfitters drive up the cost of land. B/f the outfitter competition. he could find land around 1000 an acre, now in the area people are selling it for 3to4 times as much. Last year a big outfitter out bid him on a 150 by over 100,000 dollars!! After the outfitter outbid him at auction, he just raised the price and advertised it in the Evansville paper as Land for Hunters. Sure outfitters would say, well your land value is going up, why would you care? What about the farmer who can't compete and pay that price for more land?

2. Some outfitters and many of their clients have no regards for land boundaries. As the outfitter numbers began to increase, out little honey hole became tainted. One member of our group went to his stand on the first morning of firearm season in 05 only to find one of the new outfitter's had tore down his ladder stand. That same year I walked about a mile to my stand only to see a light climbing in the darkness. An outfitter had given him bad instructions and he had wondered onto my spot and ruined my morning. Needless to say our good friend and farmer was not happy.

He swears he would never sell out and refuses to give his land up to outfitters. He even had a guy call to tell him a guy in Florida would pay him almost 20, 000 dollars a year to lease his entire farm for the entire deer season and he told him NO.

In the offseason we take weekends and go to Illinois to visit with him and show him our appreciation,We did an "extreme makeover" to his house in Feb. and have built decks, lofts, and hauled logs out of the woods for him. We have become such good friends with him that he wants us up to hunt every year. Thank god for good ol fashioned people, who ain't all about the $$$$.
AMEN!
Old 03-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tomtruk280

I KEEP SEE SOME YA'LL TALKIN ABOUT THEM THERE OUTFITTERS PAYING TAXES.WELL I WONDER HOW MANY OF THEM TURN IN ALL THEY MAKE IN ALL OFF THE PEOPLE THEY OUTFITT.I BET THEY MAY TURN IN MAYBE HALF OR SO.ITS ALL ABOUT MAKEING MONEY.I THINK THE STATE SHOULD REGULATE WHAT THEY CHARGE AND PUT A LIMIT ON HOW MUCH THEY CHARGE SAY LIKE ABOUT $500.00 PER HUNTER.
IM PLANNING ON GOING TO THE GAME COMISHINS NEXT MEETING AND TALK TO THEM ALL ABOUT THIS AND SEE WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS.
Last time I checked, this was still a free country and people were free to do what they want with what they own. How do you know what others report on their income taxes? You know there are still some communist countries left where you could move. I bet they think just like you. Mean while, I am sure the "COMISHIN" will be excited to hear from you.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: dabowhunter

ORIGINAL: Tomtruk280

Last time I checked, this was still a free country and people were free to do what they want with what they own. How do you know what others report on their income taxes? You know there are still some communist countries left where you could move. I bet they think just like you. Mean while, I am sure the "COMISHIN" will be excited to hear from you.