Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Proposed Rifle law for IN Deer Season >

Proposed Rifle law for IN Deer Season

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Proposed Rifle law for IN Deer Season

Old 03-06-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Proposed Rifle law for IN Deer Season

Sorry if this has been discussed. I tried searching the forum and could not find any threads.

What is the latest word on INDNR proposal to allow rifles chambered in pistol cartridges to be used in firearm season. I am trying to find out what cartriges would be eligible. There are certain restrictions like caliber (.357 or larger) and others that deal with max case length and total length. I had those at one time but don't have them off hand at the moment. Reviewing the restrictions with my Speer reloading guide, I could only find 2 cartridges that are have a modern rifle desighn that will shoot said "pistol" rounds. I found the .357mag and 44mag. Are there any others that will be legal if the law passes??

Any discussion on the pro and cons of the law? I am not so much against the law, I am just not sure what it is trying to accomplish, especially if my research of 2 rounds is correct. I can't believe that thre are too many hunters in IN that would even have a rifle chambered for either round.

Opinions welcomed.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Proposed Rifle law for IN Deer Season

You should be able to find it here: In. DNR
Old 03-07-2007, 05:59 AM
Spike

Default RE: Proposed Rifle law for IN Deer Season

There are about 10 or so that would fit the criteria: .357, .44, .45, .454,.460, .500. There are others but I am not familiar with all the rounds out there.