Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 WBA rules on proposed 23 day gun season >

WBA rules on proposed 23 day gun season

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

WBA rules on proposed 23 day gun season

Old 03-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default WBA rules on proposed 23 day gun season

And the Wisconsin Bowhunter Association rules on the issue .....

TO: WBH Members

DATE: March 17, 2004

Our last board of directors meeting was held in conjunction with our State convention on March 5, 2004. After a lengthy discussion the board voted NOT to support the 23-day gun season proposal as introduced by Jim Tiefenthaler. The vote of the directors was 10 yes, 8 no and 4 abstained. The reason being was this proposal would not lower the doe population enough and the T-Zone may have to be reinstated. Then we would have the 23-day gun season and the possibility that the T-zone may reappear, and earn-a-buck back in one or two years.

Sunday, March 6, 2004 at the annual meeting the members voted to support our recommendation. Since convention I have talked with our lobbyist in Madison and he has enlightened me on new information on the proposal. His message is attached.

Read it and make your own decision. Attend the spring hearings and vote your gut feeling.

Wright Allen

As a fellow bowhunter, member of the Association and your volunteer lobbyist in Madison, I’d like to make a recommendation. Reconsider your decision to oppose the 23 day deer gun season in 2005. Instead, I urge you to support this proposal. I’ve been lobbying and working on issues before the DNR since 1974. Based on my past experience I’m sure that support of the 23 day proposal is in the very best interests of the WB Association. If you fail to support this proposal, then I believe the WB Association, which is held in high esteem here in Madison, will lose substantial credibility with the friends it has in State government including key legislators and Secretary of the DNR, Scott Hassett, who is both a bowhunter and a past member of the WB Association.

If you support the proposal, and take the actions suggested below, and the 23 day season fails, you will still have the credibility to attempt to negotiate an end to the T-Zone hunt for the 2006 season. If, however, you oppose the 23 day season, and it fails to produce the necessary deer kill, you will have absolutely no basis for negotiating the structure of the 2006 deer season. The Association must become part of the solution to herd reduction or risk being perceived as contributing to the problem. The 23 day deer gun season may, or may not, produce the deer kill that is necessary for controlling the deer herd. But, the proposal does the one thing that virtually all bowhunters want: an end to the T-Zone hunt during the rut. That, alone, makes it worth supporting.

I understand that the WB Association’s opposition to the proposal is based on the belief that it won’t work and the dreaded T-Zone and Earn-A-Buck hunts will return in 2006. Granted, it will be challenging to make this proposal work but the WB Association should step up and say “We have our doubts, but we’re going to do everything in our power to help make the 23 day season produce the desired deer kill – because it ends the T-Zone hunt.” Some ideas:

· Get the membership involved, now, in plans to assist in producing a larger antlerless deer kill during the archery season and announce an organized effort to donate the extra venison to the numerous food shelters that accept this meat;

· Enlist archers to hunt their own season and the deer gun season. Find a way to report on how many antlerless deer were killed by archers with guns during the 23 day deer gun season;

· Do some press releases, radio shows, and letters to the editor promoting the importance of this proposal to getting control of the Wisconsin deer herd. Use these opportunities to explain the importance of being rid of the T-Zone hunt;

· Have the WB Association Board come to Madison and meet with DNR Secretary Hassett, Governor Doyle, Representatives Kreuser, Johnsrud, Gard and Senators Panzer, Erpenbach and Decker. Tell them about the contribution the WB Association members plan to make the 23 day season a success. (I’ll be happy to set up the meetings and join you in them as well.)
Old 03-18-2004, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WBA rules on proposed 23 day gun season

As much as I dont like the T-Zone hunts or the 23 day season the attached letter makes perfectly good sense. I also feel by opposing the 23 day hunt and not offering alternatives , the WBA looks like we're all about "us" and screw everyone else. This is suppose to be about thinning the doe population and not about wether or not we (bowhunters) have to share the woods with gun hunters for awhile.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Actually, we would only be losing 4 days to ourselves(bowhunters), so having to share is not really the issue.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:33 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

I really don't get WBA's position on this issue. All the opposition because we might lose a few days of late season bowhunting, in return for the end of t-zones and EAB?

And as far as... "The reason being was this proposal would not lower the doe population enough and the T-Zone may have to be reinstated. Then we would have the 23-day gun season and the possibility that the T-zone may reappear, and earn-a-buck back in one or two years. "... what do we have to lose? More hunting opportunities for folks who can't make it out for the Thanksgiving week of hunting we have now, and a good chance we can do away with t-zones. What am I missing here?

Talk about dime smart and dollar stupid!
Old 04-12-2004, 11:47 AM

Any orginazition that opposes this plan should have a plan of there own. I'm not too keen on the 23 days either but will do whatever it takes to get the population under contrloe. There are just way too many deer on the private lands.