Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Banned shotguns in Cook Co. >

Banned shotguns in Cook Co.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Banned shotguns in Cook Co.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Banned shotguns in Cook Co.

ORIGINAL: hammerman

Who the hek said anything about comin into somebodys home and takin YOUR guns.Listen up and maybe you'll learn something.
If you own guns legally in Illinois they have to be registered. If this law stands it won't be long before these idiots begin to check the gun registry to see who hasn't turned in their guns. It's happened in California,Chicago is almost as bad with all the liberals. Just my opinion!

hammerman - please clarify exactly what you mean by "registered". And where exactly do you, or with what agency/office this "registering" is done.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:51 AM

I know there not going to homes and taking guns…. Yet!!! The ban on those shotguns is ridicules. I didn’t go into the Marines and do two tours of Iraq, too give up my second amendment. Just read a NRA mag. every once in a while. The anti gun people are attacking are every right to own and bare arms. Criminals that miss use weapons of any kind are not hunters or sportsman.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Who the hek said anything about comin into somebodys home and takin YOUR guns.Listen up and maybe you'll learn something.
If you own guns legally in Illinois they have to be registered. If this law stands it won't be long before these idiots begin to check the gun registry to see who hasn't turned in their guns. It's happened in California,Chicago is almost as bad with all the liberals. Just my opinion!
Not true Hammerman,

Who do you register your guns with? Local police?, County Sheriffs?, or State Police?

I have lived in Illinois my whole life and have never registered a gun with anybody, and they have all been purchased legally through dealers and private parties. I held a Federal Firearms License for three years too. Again, no registry except for the federal form that must be filled out when buying a gun from a licensed dealer. The federal form is held by the dealer, your gun is not registered except the serial number is on the form.

Now, that being said. Chicago has not allowed handguns to be registered since 1980 or so. If you registered your handguns in Chicago what you said could be true.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 02-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry guys! You're right I should have said in Chicago and some surrounding cities you have to register any gun from my understanding. I have a friend that moved here from Wisconsin but won't bring his guns down because he has to register all of them if he wants to be legal.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry guys! You're right I should have said in Chicago and some surrounding cities you have to register any gun from my understanding. I have a friend that moved here from Wisconsin but won't bring his guns down because he has to register all of them if he wants to be legal.
Where did he move to that it is required to "register" his guns? Again, what you are saying is quite foggy. Chicago has it's own rules thanks to that chump Daley. But the rest of the state (except one or two other weird "communities") do not require "registering".
Old 02-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cook County just keeps coming up with ways to screw Sportsmen. This ban would get me extremely pissed off, but I think a lot of people wouldn't follow it. I already break down my shotgun when I bring it to my car to go hunting, everyone thinks it is a guitar anyways. I live in the wrigleyville/Lincoln Park/Old Town area and during Deer season I can be seen once or twice with a Deer on the roof of my SUV bringing it back to my townhome. When I stop to show it to my friends at a few bars or restaurants, you know who are the first people to come up and shake my hands, Cops. I have many friends that are Chicago Cops that I know and hunt with and all of them say If you have your Shotgun in your car and your hunting gear, you probably would not have to worry. Take the Handgun ban for instance in Chicago. They have been banned for years in the city, but out of the many hunting friends thatI know that have handguns and the hunting friends that they know that have handguns and so on, I have never heard of one person having there guns confiscated. These laws are made to make voters feel good, but if your not a thug or walking around showing your guns off to your neighbors, the cops aren't going to come and seize your guns. Plus, if someone breaks into my house, Im not going try to fend them off with a kitchen knife when all these thugs already have pistols. My families lives mean more than Daley making a political statement. I may move all but one gun to the suburbs during the offseason, but my shotguns are staying put from September to January and one is staying year round. Some may not like this, but im sorry, Im telling the truth for everyone I know. Cops know who they want to take guns from and honest people who hunt are people they are not going to bother. I come from a family of cops and this is how everyone feels. Also, only 7 months until Bow season opens!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't you mean Crook county ?[>:]
Old 02-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Typical Buck

Matt
Here's some more info on the gun laws .

There is no state preemption of firearm laws, with the result that some localities have outlawed the possession of handguns. This includes the Chicago suburbs of Winnetka,[2] Wilmette,[3] Morton Grove,[4] Evanston,[5] and Oak Park.[6] Highland Park also prohibits handguns, unless the resident has obtained a permit from the police.[7] Some municipalities, most notably Chicago, require that all firearms be registered with the local police department. Chicago does not allow the registration of handguns, which has the effect of outlawing their possession, unless they were grandfathered in by being registered before 1982.[8] Additionally, Cook County has banned assault weapons and magazines with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition.[9] Other municipalities have also enacted various firearm restrictions.[10] Lack of preemption makes it difficult to travel throughout Illinois with a firearm while being sure that no laws are being broken
#10 is ridiculous! In theory you need to check every town you pass through to make sure you're legal when tranporting your gun.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

And if you live in Chicago (Cook County) and registyered your shotgun like a good citizen, the county now knows where these firearms areif the choose to check registrations. This is why registration is a joke!
Old 03-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fastetti

Plus, if someone breaks into my house, Im not going try to fend them off with a kitchen knife when all these thugs already have pistols.

To me, there lies the biggest problem! If you kill an intruder, who can blame you right? Wrong, they will be more than happy to charge you with illegal usage/posession of a firearm.
It happened in Winnetka a few years ago. A man broke into a house and took everything. A few months later, he returned and the homeowner was home.The homeownershot him and he was charged!
Now, because of the way this new lawcan be interpreted,we will have the same thing happening with most shotguns and rifles.

Quick Reply: Banned shotguns in Cook Co.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.