Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 jim edgar park or siloam springs park >

jim edgar park or siloam springs park

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

jim edgar park or siloam springs park

Old 11-16-2006, 03:37 PM

Default jim edgar park or siloam springs park

have huntedjim edgar state parkthis year (Oct. 27-Nov2) and two seasons ago. I do believe the quility of bucks have droped off some in that length of time. One of the guys I went there with took a 120 class deer and was a fine deer at that but we did not see the 140 class deer that we had seen a few years ago. Has the area seen more preasure, it seemed much more crowded this year then in 2004, or was it just a fluke? A native of Chandlerville said that siloam springs parkseems to carry larger bucks? If you have any info on any of the above statements I would appriciate the comments. If you have hunted jim edgar I would like to compair notes on experiences. Thanks,
Old 11-16-2006, 07:37 PM

Default RE: jim edgar park or siloam springs park

Theres so much to say ,that week I was at the same place the wind the heat the bugs all bad .My buddy got 11pt about 140" I saw a lot but didn't get lucky.I agree the presseur was in the crowed range.I hunted the springs the week be for that, less people I did see 2 big bucks 140 to 150 ,you can have a ridge or bottom to your self if your willing to walk a long way .Get an arial photo at the boat ramp for $5 its great to have as you hike and scout.both places have very educted bucks like none I have ever hunted befor.I might try a late hunt after dec. 10 but which to hunt I cann't decided.Where's your bace camp located ?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:05 PM

We stayed at the camp ground in one of the cabins. Its alittle cramped but it is close. I spent several days hunting on the bike path behind the main office. I agree with you the wind and heat certainly put a damper on deer movement. I hunted a few days at the lake before you get to the main office (not the big lake) There was a power line that ran through a harvested bean field and a green wheet field off to the side. I walked all the way to the back of the bean fieldand slipped of to the left. At the bottom of the rise there is a crp field. The area is a convergence of hardwoods, crp and a thicket. I could kick my self for not hunting it all week. But I was wanting to learn more about the park and it cost me.There was a lot of sign and it was pretty easy to slip in and out undatected. If you go back I would deffinently check it out. I I like jesp but it is 12 hrs. from home (East TN) That makes it almost imposible to hunt on a long weekend. Im a teacher and coach so I only am able to take 3 personal days a year. I put those days with a Fri. and a Mon. and was able to get 6 full days. Summers are great but Im not in to golf and its too hot to fish. I sure do wish bucks rutted in July. I appreciate your info and if you have any questions I would be glad to help. Good luck
Old 11-17-2006, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeh we hunted there this year also and there were alot more hunters this year than normal, we did see about a 160 class not far from the office also.. Walt
Old 11-17-2006, 06:32 PM

I have laid out on hunting JEPC for the last couple years but have been many times....It has always been great to us and I have taken my largest whitetail ever w/ a bow there....I have taken a 130'' class, 144'', and my largest ever 174''....The last year I was there it seemed to be getting a little more crowded andI was running into other hunters and vice versa more than in the past....We haven't been putting in ever since IL raised their tags and went to the draw....If I had to pay those prices and draw also I'd rather take my chances w/ Iowa or Kansas where I can hunt private....
Old 11-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Hunted there again (JEPC)this year from Nov 4th to the 11th. YES it was more crowded this year than it has been in the years past. I didnt see the quality of bucks that I normally see but I contributed that to pressure and the warm weather. It was actually getting to me to hike in 30 minutes from the truck and have some guy walk under your stand wandering around 20 minutes after first light.

I did see 3 shooter bucks with the largest in the 140 range. Only buck that came within range of me had a busted up rack.

I think the warm weather was to blame myself but did hear the same thing from the locals saying the quailty wasnt as good as it usually is.

Don
Old 11-19-2006, 10:17 AM

See if I can post my buddys buck .
Old 11-19-2006, 10:21 AM

Try agian

Old 11-19-2006, 10:27 AM

agian